Under Dash Wiring Mystery

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark73mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C-4V, Ram Air, FMX, Wimbledon White
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 445-4V, T-5, Black Jade
1973 Ford Mustang Convertible
Hi Everyone, 

I have 2 wires right above the brake pedal that just hang there. I don't know if they should be connected. One is the pinkish color with 3 female plugs. The other one a red sliced with a black wire. It has a large yellow rubber male plug.

My question is what are the 2 wires for and should the be connected. The Mach 1 is a 351C, FMX, non AC, non power. Added headlight relay. Car runs find things work as normal. Any ideas. Hopefully Midlife will chime in. I don't have a wiring diagram. 

Thank Mark

You can go to the Mustang Data tab at the upper right of this page and download the wiring diagram for your car.

Does the pink wire have a stripe or other marks on it?

The red wire might be part of the windshield wiper circuitry. It should have power when the key is on. I would be concerned about the added on bare connector shorting out.

3 prong plug: trace it backwards, and I suspect is it the fuse buss extension for ACC power.

Red/black wire appears to be the remnants of the pink resistor wire based upon the position of the reddish wire in the ignition plug. Someone has bypassed your pink resistor wire...

As Midlife stated, this is where the other end of the Accessory Plug goes on the fuse box. You can use it any switched power accessory you might need to power as long as you don't exceed the 20A fuse capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I did find my wiring diagram book.  I will travel out the pinkish color sure to see where it starts.  Midlife was correct I believe I had the Tach bypassed to prevent it going bad and shutting the engine down.

Does anyone know the the yellow rubber male plug goes to?

Thanks Mark

Bump...I'm still trying to figure out what the large yellow male plug goes to? Any insight would be appreciated. I have reviewed the wiring diagram and still can't figure it out. Thanks Mark

That plug looks to be spliced into an existing wire, no?

Back