Another Subframe Connector Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Does anyone know if the Global West subframe connectors would interfere with the CalTracs I have installed on my car? If anyone has this combo or even just the global west subframe connectors and has a few good photos that would be helpful.

Cal-Tracs mount to the forward leaf spring mount, effectively as a 2nd "solid" shackle, if I'm not mistaken.

That being the case, I would think not since the Global West SFCs are directly inline with the rear frame rails - if the rear frame rails aren't 'in the way' with the Cal-Tracs, then I imagine the GW SFCs wouldn't be, either.

I just saw this pic that looks like a set of Cal-Tracs along with some GW SFCs (black tube above the forward mount) - the description says it's on a Maverick, though.

tractionbar_compeng_earlymustang-jpg.14519

Here's another one from Stangnet - '65 Mustang with what looks like GW SFCs (you can just barely make them out) and Cal-Tracs.  Here's a link to the thread, which also has a link to more pics (that I can't access here at work): https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/traction.736697/

axle05-jpg.331867

Hope this helps!

** edit ** - I also just found this '70 with Cal-Tracs and GW SFCs - looks just fine as well. Plus, it's a pretty dang nice car to drool over just the same. http://www.classiccarstudio.com/inventory/1727-1970-ford-mustang-mach-1/

If you make your own I believe most if not all of the ones offered are just DOM tube not high alloy. You could get 4140 or maybe even from Swedish Steel Domex which is 4 times the yield of regular steel. 

The use of the new steels is how they get the new cars to be so stiff and do much better in crash. Lots of the body work on today's cars cannot be body worked just RR. 

I have seen parts made that they had to heat the metal to red hot to form. If you hit it cold shatters like glass.

Thanks to Are 51 for better steel.

That is what I am going to do for roll cage in 72 vert when I build it. Will also have a panel bent to mate along the length of the rocker box.

Yes that helps a lot. If the Global west connectors are inline with (centered on) the rear frame rail then they would not appear to interfere with the CalTracs. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Global West subframe connectors would interfere with the CalTracs I have installed on my car? If anyone has this combo or even just the global west subframe connectors and has a few good photos that would be helpful.

I can't speak for the GW connectors but I know for a fact that the TinMan Fabrication ones will work with the CalTracs. That's what I have on my car. I'm 99% sure they are not made from some exotic metal but my guess is that my Ford frame is/was not either. So they should work just fine. I will include a link if you are interested.

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/prd58.htm

I remember mine being directly inline with my rear frame rails.

Not a great pic, but at least you should be able to see that the GW SFCs are inboard of the forward spring mounts.  And yes - they are directly inline with the rear frame rails... but need to bend inward to line up with the front frame rails, however.

attachment.php

I can't speak for the GW connectors but I know for a fact that the TinMan Fabrication ones will work with the CalTracs. That's what I have on my car. I'm 99% sure they are not made from some exotic metal but my guess is that my Ford frame is/was not either. So they should work just fine. I will include a link if you are interested.

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/prd58.htm
Roy's got all the good stuff!  ::thumb::

Me too

FYI - those are Competition Engineering Slide-a-links, not CalTracs.
Fair enough - but I think they are similar enough to make the point.   :whistling:

::thumb::

I looked at the Tin Man ones as well. I'm just not too sold on having to cut the factory frame rails open to fit them. I would prefer to leave mine in tact.

I looked at the Tin Man ones as well. I'm just not too sold on having to cut the factory frame rails open to fit them. I would prefer to leave mine in tact.

The Tin Man ones only require that you cut the "cap" off on the front rail, the cap on the rear subframe ends stay untouched.  The front rail cap isn't fully welded, it is open on the sides, the bottom (towards the asphalt) of the existing cap is bent up, then welded to the floor pan.  It really isn't much of a surgery to get rid of it, and as an added plus you get to clean out whatever junk has collected in there over the years.  No matter which subframe connector you choose you are going to do some pretty serious welding to install it.  I don't really see removal of any sub frame connector to return the car to off the assembly line originality as an easy process no matter which connector you choose.  The Tin Man connectors are out of the way and were what I chose on my car.  That being said they really are not for the 71-73 so I did have to touch up the bends a bit on a press to make them fit just right.

The fit of my Tinman sub-frame connectors and under-ride traction bars is flawless.                                      Boilermaster.

Cal-Tracs mount to the forward leaf spring mount, effectively as a 2nd "solid" shackle, if I'm not mistaken.

That being the case, I would think not since the Global West SFCs are directly inline with the rear frame rails - if the rear frame rails aren't 'in the way' with the Cal-Tracs, then I imagine the GW SFCs wouldn't be, either.

I just saw this pic that looks like a set of Cal-Tracs along with some GW SFCs (black tube above the forward mount) - the description says it's on a Maverick, though.

Here's another one from Stangnet - '65 Mustang with what looks like GW SFCs (you can just barely make them out) and Cal-Tracs.  Here's a link to the thread, which also has a link to more pics (that I can't access here at work): https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/traction.736697/

axle05-jpg.331867

Hope this helps!

** edit ** - I also just found this '70 with Cal-Tracs and GW SFCs - looks just fine as well.  Plus, it's a pretty dang nice car to drool over just the same.  http://www.classiccarstudio.com/inventory/1727-1970-ford-mustang-mach-1/
Those are NOT cal-traces, they are slide a link . I have cal-tracks/gws SFC combo, they will fit if u mount at same time. First cal trans, then test fit connectors so u can access cal trac bolt head to adjust height. 

Back