Shock tower apron extensions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAg

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1
Steel strip welded to  shock tower  and radiator support lays underneath the front engine bay side panel aprons at the top

You need to go back and let everyone know who you are and what you are working on, do an introduction. 

About any of the mustang supply shops will have them. You can get just the front section of the inner fender or you can get the full frame rail with the inner fenders and shock tower in place. Dynacorn is the mfg. of most of the 71 - 73 body chassis parts. 

If you have not checked your cowl you should. If the inner fenders are gone the cowl will be also. Leaking cowl is what rusts out the front floor pans. 

When doing panel replacement you need to have some sort of jig to hold the body in position to properly keep everything in alignment. If you do not you will end up with some poor fitting outter sheet metal.

All of the components have locator holes in them used at the assembly line to accurately locate them in the body. You need to be able to measure them and get them right before doing much welding. 

There are many failed restores out there where they body just got all out of whack because not enough care was taken.

Here is a link to a shop that does only panel replacement and not body work. You can see some of the fixtures they use. By no means as good as factory but better than just hanging out in air. https://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/

I do have some measurements from tooling holes for the front end of the car I have attached. The repo panels may not have the same locator holes in them that the factory had.

You can see how you do some cross measurements to insure the front end is square. To do a really good job you should have taken the car to a frame shop before starting to have the chassis put back to original specs. These bodies are very weak in a rust free shape but after years of rust loose a big percentage of their strength so they flex even more. 

Never jack up the front of the car using the front cross member. Only jack, lift and support where Ford suggest in their shop manuals. You can get the manuals on DVD or printed.

Just take lots of measurements and never weld anything in solid until you get everything in position then jump around with your welds so not to overheat anything.

DSC_0329.JPG

DSC_0330.JPG

DSC_0336.JPG

DSC_0337.JPG

DSC_0338.JPG

73_Mustang_Inner_Fender_Measurements.pdf

IMG_0001.pdf

Attachments

• 73_Mustang_Inner_Fender_Measurements.pdf
    329.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0001.pdf
    329.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
If you still have both sides, clean them up and use them.

If you need a pair, I have them  PM me.  As OMS said, they are not being reproduced.  I searched all over, paid dearly for a set then ended up using my originals.

kcmash

If you still have both sides, clean them up and use them.

If you need a pair, I have them  PM me.  As OMS said, they are not being reproduced.  I searched all over, paid dearly for a set then ended up using my originals.

kcmash
Will hit em with the hand grinder and emery disk then see how they look and decide to patch or replace. Thxs

You need to go back and let everyone know who you are and what you are working on, do an introduction. 

About any of the mustang supply shops will have them. You can get just the front section of the inner fender or you can get the full frame rail with the inner fenders and shock tower in place. Dynacorn is the mfg. of most of the 71 - 73 body chassis parts. 

If you have not checked your cowl you should. If the inner fenders are gone the cowl will be also. Leaking cowl is what rusts out the front floor pans. 

When doing panel replacement you need to have some sort of jig to hold the body in position to properly keep everything in alignment. If you do not you will end up with some poor fitting outter sheet metal.

All of the components have locator holes in them used at the assembly line to accurately locate them in the body. You need to be able to measure them and get them right before doing much welding. 

There are many failed restores out there where they body just got all out of whack because not enough care was taken.

Here is a link to a shop that does only panel replacement and not body work. You can see some of the fixtures they use. By no means as good as factory but better than just hanging out in air. https://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/

I do have some measurements from tooling holes for the front end of the car I have attached. The repo panels may not have the same locator holes in them that the factory had.

You can see how you do some cross measurements to insure the front end is square. To do a really good job you should have taken the car to a frame shop before starting to have the chassis put back to original specs. These bodies are very weak in a rust free shape but after years of rust loose a big percentage of their strength so they flex even more. 

Never jack up the front of the car using the front cross member. Only jack, lift and support where Ford suggest in their shop manuals. You can get the manuals on DVD or printed.

Just take lots of measurements and never weld anything in solid until you get everything in position then jump around with your welds so not to overheat anything.
Great info here.

I've got my driver side fender off and doing some metal straightening from previous collision to the lower front corner and valance panel. 

Since I began, I've been spending a whole lot of time just studying over all frame work and panels. I find little kinks and bends in places that reveal the direction of the impact and flow of force against the metal sections and how each part absorbed it. Painstaking to get it all back where it belongs.

Since reading your post, I've began to find those locator holes and have been taking measurements. I bought a replacement fender and valance panel and have them both out being primed and painted, I sure don't want to be fighting alignment issues do to misalignments in the car.

I also had to buy a passenger side fender apron due to the big rust hole from the battery. I'll be starting on that job pretty quick. That's a pretty big piece of metal that interconnects to a lot of other structural frame parts. Can't afford to get that back together wrong either.

Back