2015+ mustang power seats into '71??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Boss 351, 11k miles, all original including drive train, paint, and exhaust.
Boss 351, 38k miles, original with a few suspension improvements.
I want to install a set of 2015 Mustang cloth seats into my '71 fastback. Has anyone done this swap? I'm swapping out the factory bucket seats, both of the new seats are power and soooo Nice! I'll need to fab-up some brackets and I'm getting the wiring schematic for both seats from Ford. Once I figure out the power and ground I'll need to know where to take power from!

These seats are huge! I hope they fit!

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to install a set of 2015 Mustang cloth seats into my '71 fastback. Has anyone done this swap? I'm swapping out the factory bucket seats, both of the new seats are power and soooo Nice! I'll need to fab-up some brackets and I'm getting the wiring schematic for both seats from Ford. Once I figure out the power and ground I'll need to know where to take power from!

These seats are huge! I hope they fit!

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Here are a few ideas for power.....Some 71-73 cars depending on options have an accessory wire harness with an inline fuse that runs from the battery side of the solenoid (or a terminal block near there) to a space behind the driver's side kick panel. It terminates with a yellow three-hole female plug and is unswitched 12v power. If your car is a convertible, and/or has the convenience group option, you have this harness. With the convenience group option, there is also a wire harness that runs from this yellow plug to under your driver's seat and supplies power to the automatic seatback latch actuator in the original seatbacks. There is also maybe an unused two wire black female/male plug under the driver's seat, which was used on cougars for powered seats. You could tap into these plugs to power your new seats. Make sure you know how many max Amps your new seat motors draw.

If you don't have these options, then you could run your own harness from the solenoid and include an inline fuse and a make it switched using a relay. and or possibly use the 20 amp switched 12v accessory terminal post on the fuse box. If you don't have the fuse box accessory terminal, you can add it. Midlife sells them.

Accessory wire harness from Selenoid or terminal block....

Accessory wire harness with inline fuse

Switched 20amp Accessory terminal

Thank you for this guidance.

1.) I do not have the accessory option so I'll get the fused terminal from Midlife and add it to my fuse box.

2.) I'll see if I can get the max amps for the motors from Ford.

When I was working on my Mach 1 it has the Cougar harness under the seat. Had cougar harness in the console.

On power seats. With just one drive when would it ever be used? My truck has up down, back and forth and tilt seat that has never been moved since I got the car. 

Don't tell me you let your wife drive the Mustang, lol. rofl

I just tried to install them and they DON'T FIT! The seats are too large for the space between the floor boards and the ceiling. I thought that once I put power to the seats, and collapsed the seat track, they might fit, but nope! The modern cars have much lower floor boards and much more head room. Oh well, these seats are fantastic and I'll just save them for another project.

Thanks to all who read this post.

They really look nice. Has anyone tried any other seats ? I read somewhere that somebody put in bmw M3 seats ....

Thank you for this guidance.

1.) I do not have the accessory option so I'll get the fused terminal from Midlife and add it to my fuse box.

2.) I'll see if I can get the max amps for the motors from Ford.
NOTE a word of caution the seats have a built in air bag, make sure you do not power my mistake it when testing things

Also keep that in mind when you store them long term.

I'm sorry to read that it didn't work out for you.

I'm sidling around doing a seat upgrade myself, though I'm not sure what direction I want to go.

I measured the seats in my 2012 GT and it looked like they'd fit in my 71 just barely and narrowly miss the headliner when the seat was tilted forward.

This was with the head rest still on.

The 2013 up was a pretty big restyle from my 2012, maybe your seats are taller than mine?

There's not a lot of 'put late model seats in a 71-73' help on the net (although there's a lot of it for earlier models, go figure) but I'm still looking and if I find something I'll link you.

Back