Some fun drag racing last night

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Went down last night to the Outlaw Street Drags that they hold on the 3rd Thursday of the month. Had a good time. Entered the car in the Mustang Class and the Pre 1980 Detroit Class. Won both, despite traction being a major problem, but it seemed to be for everyone. It is a little bit of an odd set up. it is 1/16 mile heads up bracket style racing with double elimination. The two classes I was in do not allow blowers, turbos, NOS, slicks, etc.

They do them at the local oval track on the straight, hence why it is so short. I'm running 3.70 gears and a 5 speed. It is set up to be fun and more like a street race scenario, although some of the guys in the open class were running straight up drag cars.

Before they closed all our tracks here due to noise they did some but different. They would line up at the start finish line and do one lap. A 67 Mustang would win every time he came. Saw one kid put his dads torino into the wall on turn 4 totaled it. What do you tell the insurance company?

if I took my car to a drag strip and gave it full throttle, I think I would be the last car of the night due to the time it would take to clean up the trail of fluids and parts from the strip...I don't know exactly what would break, I just know it would break....a lot

Congratulations! Always god to get some recognition

Although no drag strip close to my home I would be happy to just make it to the end of the line without requiring a tow truck!

Have you done any racing with slicks?

Congratulations! Always god to get some recognition

Although no drag strip close to my home I would be happy to just make it to the end of the line without requiring a tow truck!

Have you done any racing with slicks?
No slicks. That was also on the original factory springs from 1973. I have since replaced with 4 1/2 leaf reverse eye springs and added a set of Cal-Tracs. Working on the Sub Frame Connectors next week. Decided to take a break from the car and finish up the Heat and AC in the shop as I was tired of sweating out a gallon or so every time I was out there.

Original 351C block. Bored 40 over, stock pistons, crank, rods. The rest is heavily modified. I'm on the look out for a std bore 4 bolt main block to build though. I am guessing with the heads, tuning, cam, etc I am in the 400 HP range. It really screams. Cam and head details are in my signature at bottom of post.

Back