• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale 1972 Sportsroof/Fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72SportsRoof

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback (Sports Roof) Ivy Green and a built up 351c, Automatic.
[url=https://ibb.co/gWZvWQ5][img]https://i.ibb.co/5jhYjCN/IMG-8994.jpg[/img][/url]
Beautiful 1972 Fastback / Sports Roof Mustang with original and rare Olive Green interior / Ivy Bronze Metallic w/Clear Coat exterior color. 

Car located in NW Indiana just SE of Chicago.

Call or Text 219-228-0580 or email me at [email protected] for lots more photos and info.

Front seats were just newly recovered and re-foamed 2 weeks ago.

This car is ready to roll and show

Car has power Disc Brakes all around! No drum brakes on this car!

All the following was just done to this Mustang within the last 2 weeks:

New Comp Camshaft Kit - # 32-221-3.

Head was machined (of course)

Premium lifters - hydraulic flat tappets

Valve springs - Timing chain

Gaskets for cam change - cam change kit

16 chrome moly valve spring retainers - chrome moly hardened

New blue cap electronic distributer (eliminating points), new plugs, new Ford racing plug wires.

New Holley 600 carburetor.

Engine is a 351 Cleveland with ram air, ported close chamber heads, ceramic headers.

FMX automatic transmission, shift kit, 9" gear ratio 4https://ibb.co/Nj0dxcL:11.1 limited slip. [/URL]

Upon completion of rebuild Mobil 1 15-50 weight oil and Lucas treatment were added.

Car is high performance from motor through entire drive train.

New battery too! 

Car shows excellently with a couple dings.

Runs perfectly.

Was in 1 family from new in 1972 until April of this year, I'm only the second owner.

Have copy of original title and other original paperwork, bill of sale, owners manual, etc... 

There is so much more I'm forgetting that I've recently done to this car, please ask - 

IMG-9729.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an auction?? What's the first bid?

the pump noise is the vacuum pump on pass side fire wall... i think i'd find out why the engine has no vac for the brakes and junk that noise pump.. also i notice the blinkers are under the bumper.. what happened to in the grill ???

I have to agree on the vacuum deal. I looked up that cam and is not all the aggressive so he should have plenty of vacuum with out the pump.

Also states that it is a Ram Air car and I do not see any Ram Air.

also i notice the blinkers are under the bumper.. what happened to in the grill ???
It's a 72 -  turn signals were under the bumper.  It's also not a Mach 1, nor does it have the Exterior Decor Group, so no sport lamp grille.

I have to agree on the vacuum deal. I looked up that cam and is not all the aggressive so he should have plenty of vacuum with out the pump.

Agreed, the 268H is a very mild cam at 218/218 duration and should easily pull 15" vacuum. I ran the more aggressive 280H which is 230/230 and it had plenty of vacuum for the factory power brakes.

Either way, it's a nice looking car and appears to be pretty solid. The doors sound really good when closed, not the usual "coffee can full of bolts" sound you hear.

I am interested - it is a very pretty car, I love the colour, I even like the chromed NACA inlets - on that colour with the chrome front lip it sort of works... it would work over here in the European market for those that are not interested in all original - but that pump noise is horrific and that horse doesn't need to be nailed to the fan cowl. . 

I'm seeing subtle differences with my own though ...

• The antenna hole is in drv rear qtr panel rather than drv front wing.  :chin:
  • 351 RAM AIR decals are a bit high up the hood
  • The wheel rims are not something I've seen before
  • Loads of 3rd party add ons ...that doesn't bother me as much as it does purists
  • Body dings are easily and invisibly fixable 

...sorry but I just couldn't live with that digga-digga-digga pump noise. My brain cells would incandescently erupt with all my OCD, spattering my brain all over my garage wall at the speed of light...my poor wife would have to clean up. .  :bomb:  

The only noise that should ever come from the front of one of these, is the satisfying, captivating, delicate, intoxicating hum of a Cleveland 13726548 firing order, conjugated with the soft flow of air through the radiator, united with the rotation of the fan....ahhh beautiful  :D  , Mozart, Mendelssohn, Beethoven or even Motorhead haven't come up with music this good.  :p

Pretty nice car, but ya that pump is ridiculous! They think it’s needed cause it has 4 wheel disc brakes. The vacuum should be fine for that, especially with that small of a cam. But with that removed, shortening up the tail pipes and a few other things I think it would be a pretty nice car. I think the only major change needed would be to change that cam to something larger. It’s a 4v motor and it could definitely use some more cam than that. Oh, and removing that annoying pump!

1Sostatic, it has your name all over it, it’s green! Lol It is a beautiful green though, I really like it. If you were to get this one, then are you going to keep the one you have? If so, then you either have a great and understanding wife or, your like me and single so you can blow all your money on these cool cars with no one to bitch at you about it.

also i notice the blinkers are under the bumper.. what happened to in the grill ???
It's a 72 -  turn signals were under the bumper.  It's also not a Mach 1, nor does it have the Exterior Decor Group, so no sport lamp grille.

Agreed, the 268H is a very mild  cam at 218/218 duration and should easily pull 15" vacuum. I ran the more aggressive  280H which is 230/230 and it had plenty of vacuum for the factory power brakes.

Either way, it's a nice looking car and appears to be pretty solid. The doors sound really good when closed, not the usual "coffee can full of bolts" sound you hear.
Your probably correct re: enough vacuum with that Cam. I'm going to check the vacuum and I'm looking into eliminating the "noisy" vacuum pump. The car is a very nice and solid example of a 72 and does not sound like "a can of bolts" at all. It rolls down the road very straight and quietly, with no rattles that I hear.

It may have been Ram Air, but the air cleaner wouldn't have fit that ugly HEI distributor.
I don't think the HEI is ugly and it was freshly installed by my mechanic to eliminate the hassle of points, a coil, etc. And yes, the Ram Air is compromised and if I keep this car I'll look into making the Ram work.

I am interested - it is a very pretty car, I love the colour, I even like the chromed NACA inlets - on that colour with the chrome front lip it sort of works... it would work over here in the European market for those that are not interested in all original - but that pump noise is horrific and that horse doesn't need to be nailed to the fan cowl. . 

• Loads of 3rd party add ons ...that doesn't bother me as much as it does purists

...sorry but I just couldn't live with that digga-digga-digga pump noise. My brain cells would incandescently erupt with all my OCD, spattering my brain all over my garage wall at the speed of light...my poor wife would have to clean up. .  :bomb:  

The only noise that should ever come from the front of one of these, is the satisfying, captivating, delicate, intoxicating hum of a Cleveland 13726548 firing order, conjugated with the soft flow of air through the radiator, united with the rotation of the fan....ahhh beautiful  :D  , Mozart, Mendelssohn, Beethoven or even Motorhead haven't come up with music this good.  :p
Looking into eliminating the vacuum pump, going to check the vacuum to see if there's enough to operate the power brakes (on all 4 wheels) and if so, vacuum pump is gone. Mustang horse is easily removed from cowl (was there when I obtained car) The org. owner put an electric retractile antenna on the back (don't ask me why) but the antenna does work.  Rims were on it when I obtained it too. Obtained from an estate. The digga-digga-digga noise will be eliminated.  

:)

It may have been Ram Air, but the air cleaner wouldn't have fit that ugly HEI distributor.
I don't think the HEI is ugly and it was freshly installed by my mechanic to eliminate the hassle of points, a coil, etc. And yes, the Ram Air is compromised and if I keep this car I'll look into making the Ram work.
I don't mind the HEI either. I run one in mine. But I will caution you on the particular one you have installed. I ran the exact same one (made in china) for about 1,500 miles before this happened. I went with a Davis Unified unit from performance distributors. As you can see the shaft sheered clean off and lets just say fishing the bottom half out was not fun. I am not running a high volume pump either.

Agreed, the 268H is a very mild  cam at 218/218 duration and should easily pull 15" vacuum. I ran the more aggressive  280H which is 230/230 and it had plenty of vacuum for the factory power brakes.

Your probably correct re: enough vacuum with that Cam. I'm going to check the vacuum and I'm looking into eliminating the "noisy" vacuum pump. The car is a very nice and solid example of a 72 and does not sound like "a can of bolts" at all. It rolls down the road very straight and quietly, with no rattles that I hear.
73pony - Checked the vacuum without the vacuum pump and the vacuum is sufficient to run all 4 power disc brakes.

THE VACUUM PUMP HAS BEEN ELIMINATED AND REMOVED FROM THIS BEAUTIFUL CAR!!  NO MORE VACUUM PUMP NOISE!

Looking into eliminating the vacuum pump, going to check the vacuum to see if there's enough to operate the power brakes (on all 4 wheels) and if so, vacuum pump is gone. Mustang horse is easily removed from cowl (was there when I obtained car) The org. owner put an electric retractile antenna on the back (don't ask me why) but the antenna does work.  Rims were on it when I obtained it too. Obtained from an estate. The digga-digga-digga noise will be eliminated.  

:)

1sostatic - Checked vacuum and it is sufficient to run power brakes all around. The digga-digga-digga has been removed from car, there is no vacuum pump in car now and zero noise, the motor purrs and sounds beautiful now, like the satisfying, captivating, delicate, intoxicating hum of a Cleveland 13726548 firing order that yoou described!  

Vacuum pump eliminated, see my new cars for sale post

Back