Top down...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
Today, I put the top down on my ‘71 J Code Vert for the first time since having it installed over two years ago... Yep, not even at the shop when I picked the car up, did I try it... The reason I chose today is that the temp (humidity) is off the charts here in Niagara Falls... For those with convertibles, you know the fun it is to put on a new top boot in place on the car when you have the top in the down position. Most know the trick is to put it in the hot sun first and let it melt, almost. Anyway, did the trick for me. I also included an updated shot with the newly acquired spare tire in place. A good day all round. Although not true glamour shots, I thought I would share my first top down pics here.

aluminum hydrogen carbonate

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fantastic and yes the boots are a PIA for sure. I do not even take mine with me. 

Does the edge of the top clear the hockey sticks on both sides going down? Most seem go be too wide and rub.

Are your carburetor issues fixed?
I would like to say yes... but as there is some play in these old top frames, I suspect there will be some contact. To be honest, the car will see little regular use, so I’m not too worried. I’ll keep an eye on it though... Yes, the carb is running unbelieavable.... I hadn’t started it it about three weeks, and once she did, ran fine, no rich fuel problems whatsoever. I was very fortunate to find a guy here that had worked for our Ministry of Transportation in the Drive Clean Program... Our Provincial Government recently scrapped the program, he lost his job and now he works on his own. A true old school carburetor Mr Fix It! Together, we went throughout all the systems on the car to finally nail the issue to an incorrect base plate carb. rebuild kit gasket (simply to thick, changing some of the factory internal carb clearances). We made the necessary adjustments, fixed.... It was a tough one.

Now...I've not been a massive fan of the convertible, but seeing this one changes my mind...I have to say the clean look of this does make it pop out. 

I bet it turns heads.  ::thumb::

The '71-'73s look like they were designed to be convertibles, instead of just chopping the top off and sticking a canvas top on it. I wouldn't care to own a convertible, but they do look really nice.

Hmmm. Went from showing the car with the top down to the thread deviating to determining if these car's look good as convertibles.... Note taken to self for future submissions...

As others have said, beautiful. It is a body style perfectly designed for a convertible. Hope you are able to get it out more, with the top down.

Ken, I've followed your build from the original dust covered "Barn Find" to the point where your wallet said..... finally!  I know it has been a long bumpy road with days you probably wondered if you would ever see the finish line. The photos you have posted show the dedication, blood ,sweat, tears, and $$$ you have devoted to this survivor from an era when these big block monsters ruled the land.

Well done and appreciate your sharing the process with us.

Also when you get a chance would you please see if there is a letter stamped in your "New" spare tire rim near the valve stem. I tried to blow the picture up, but since I no longer have the eyesight I possessed in my 20's, it just became fuzzy. Over the years of a lot of white paint daubs turned yellow with age so not always a good positive form of ID. No hurry, just like to add to my parts notes.

Ken, it looks very nice with the top down, enjoy it well done

Ken, I've followed your build from the original dust covered "Barn Find" to the point where your wallet said..... finally!  I know it has been a long bumpy road with days you probably wondered if you would ever see the finish line. The photos you have posted show the dedication, blood ,sweat, tears, and $$$ you have devoted to this survivor from an era when these big block monsters ruled the land.

Well done and appreciate your sharing the process with us.

Also when you get a chance would you please see if there is a letter stamped in your "New" spare tire rim near the valve stem. I tried to blow the picture up, but since I no longer have the eyesight I possessed in my 20's, it just became fuzzy. Over the years of a lot of white paint daubs turned yellow with age so not always a good positive form of ID. No hurry, just like to add to my parts notes.

Steve, the letter "F" is stamped adjacent to the valve stem.

I've owned many 73 convertibles since 1975 and being a long time 73 mustang convertible owner, I agree 71-73 are the best looking convertible years. Ken your pastel blue with white deluxe interior looks fantastic. Steve said it well. Nice work, enjoy, and good luck with it.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the car.

Back