Stock Tachometer with HEI distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterMatt

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Stock tachometer not working with HEI (gm style) distributor. Tach jumps around sporadically. Has anyone solved this issue before. I believe an MSD system could be made to work but I don’t want to switch out the distributor unless I have too. 

Thanks for any advice!

Stock tachometer not working with HEI (gm style) distributor. Tach jumps around sporadically. Has anyone solved this issue before. I believe an MSD system could be made to work but I don’t want to switch out the distributor unless I have too. 

Thanks for any advice!
The Ford tach is a current triggered unit, and will need an adapter to be run off the TACH terminal of the HEI unit. MSD 8920 is the unit you'll need. 

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/...parts/8920

Install a DuraSpark, stock looking and MSD based their box on the DuraSpark. The right one provides ignition retard when cranking the engine.

By the way, please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car. We like pictures :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for any advice!
The Ford tach is a current triggered unit, and will need an adapter to be run off the TACH terminal of the HEI unit. MSD 8920 is the unit you'll need. 

Ordered! Thanks for the help.

Install a DuraSpark, stock looking and MSD based their box on the DuraSpark. The right one provides ignition retard when cranking the engine.

By the way, please go to the Introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car. We like pictures :)
Thanks I’ll look into the duraspark. Heading to the intro section now.

Thanks for any advice!

Ordered! Thanks for the help.
7/24/19 update:  installed the msd unit and it fixed the issue. Tach is working properly. Thanks!

How did you do the connections (Wiring diagram please)

He used the MSD 8920 tach adapter to trigger the factory tach. Wiring diagram is below. Connect the white wire from the adapter to the TACH terminal on the HEI unit. Ignore the MSD box setup.

This also brings up a question on how you have the HEI wired? Is it off the original coil (+) wire (red w/lt green stripe)?

msd_8920_tach_adapter.JPG

Back