1973 mach 1 351 cleveland rear brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1

Hello All 

Can anyone tell me what size rear drum brake and shoe size a 1973 mach 1 351 cleveland would have come with.

drum size 

shoe width 

here is picture of my brakes now

just trying to work out if has right size shoes in .

Thanks Nige

The drum should be 10" diameter and the shoes 2.5" wide.
Thanks for that about to replace the cylinders and shoes but only has 2" shoes in at present ? last owner

The drums look like they may be for 2" shoes. Youl need to make sure the drums are wide enough, and also not worn beyond the wear limit, which should be on the brake drum.

The drums look like they may be for 2" shoes. Youl need to make sure the drums are wide enough, and also not worn beyond the wear limit, which should be on the brake drum.
ok thanks for the info

Here are a couple pics I did not measure. The Mach 1 is Q code and Comp. Susp. and the vert is H code regular 9". I have seen drums without the fins could have been replacements.

Mine were painted on the original car maybe because of the slotted aluminum wheels. I use charcoal grill paint on them high heat resistance. Notice the missing balance weight on the drum. Car never gets driven so I did not worry about it.

The last pic with the broken lug stud is the 73 vert. 

Back