is anyone running chrome bullet side mirrors?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
my body color racing mirrors need to be rebuilt since the mechanism that holds the glass is shot.  the other option is to run chrome bullet mirrors which appear to be a bit bigger, and probably allow you to actually see what is behind you. is anyone running chrome door mirrors?  I wonder how the chrome would look in contrast to the body color? if you are running chrome mirrors, please post pics. thanks

my body color racing mirrors need to be rebuilt since the mechanism that holds the glass is shot.  the other option is to run chrome bullet mirrors which appear to be a bit bigger, and probably allow you to actually see what is behind you. is anyone running chrome door mirrors?  I wonder how the chrome would look in contrast to the body color? if you are running chrome mirrors, please post pics. thanks

My car had aftermarket dual chrome factory style mirrors on it when it was first pulled from the barn... I couldn’t get them off the car and into the trash bin quick enough when the car was delivered to me :) Even in this shape, I did not like them. 
73326B26-9B10-4145-AD66-6F0E7413645C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this to fix your pass side mirror  -  the drivers side usually held up better as it did not have a swivel, there are cables inside

69-73 RACING MIRROR CONVEX GLASS AND SWIVEL

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/images/cart.gif[/img]

Item #C9ZZ-17682-ABGV

Direct fit replacement passenger side racing mirror glass and swivel bracket. Replacement for sport mirror glass that is damaged or has become loose.

FM-BM006C_BACK.jpg

@oms, that may be what I need. it my case its the drivers side that's in the worst shape, but I need both sides. also, I don't have remote controls on the door panels, so don't need the cables. in the pics below you can see my "fix" using plumbers putty. the other pic shows the internal mechanism which looks like a spring...I think the same mechanism is used on most dashboard mount hula girls.

another name for alum

The driver's side mirror looks like it might not be a Mustang mirror.  Ford had different bases for different cars based on the slope of the top sill.  The top should be parallel to the ground.
its a 73 Mexican Mach 1. I really have no idea what mirrors they may have used, but I'd feel better about replacing them if I knew for sure they were incorrect. here are 2 more pics.

The screw holding them to the car is not correct, it was always a Phillips head stainless steel screw - even being the MX version the screw in there looks too big

Remove the mirror and look at the number on the bottom of the base.

All drivers side sport mirrors were remote controlled - you may want to look at some pictures of other MX cars to see if the mirrors sit properly and if there is a remote knob showing on the door panel

West coast cougar has an article on repairing them..

My mirrors on my '71 were getting so the mirror glass was foggy and they wouldn't stay in adjustment. I took them apart and rebuilt them, bought mirror glass from Pep Boys that fit some generic truck mirror and had a glass shop cut and size them to fit. Today, you can buy a new mirror glass piece with the mounting piece as was posted above. Post #3 is probably your answer.

However, just to answer your initial question,....yes, years ago when I had a '65 Hi-Po GT coupe, I added bullet mirrors, just to give it a racier personal touch. I think they looked good in that application, don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back