Motor keeps running

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hey,

Can someone help me with the problem:

If I start the Mustang no problem, but if I shut down the Mustang and pull out the key, the mustang keeps running and I have to shut it down by disconnecting the battery.

Does anyone know what's wrong and what I can do about it?

Tanks Ingrid.

I would start with replacing the Solenoid on the fender well next to the battery.  When those go bad they stick and keep current flowing.

You can also try striking it( Hitting to see if that helps show if that is the problem)

Is yours a new build and start?  Did this just start or has it been this way since you owned it?  Possibly the solenoid has the wires reversed.

kcmash

If solenoid is ok then look at the ignition switch bolted to the left top of the steering column. There is a rod that runs from your ignition key to the switch. There are two fasteners holding to the column if it gets moved too far toward the driver the switch will stay on. The key has no electrical connection just the switch on the column.

I do not think it is the solenoid - a sticking solenoid will keep the starter engaged, she said the motor stays running after the key is turned off

This seems like it would be an ignition switch or wiring issue.

See Midlife's post below - it can be the solenoid - I am editing this as...

I have been schooled by the master wiring guru man...

Last edited by a moderator:
have used a new second-hand wiring harness, using the right cables will make this happen. So it's a wire issue. I think the cable coming from the altornator to the contact comes after the Start contact instead of before, is that so? Or are we wrong. it comes after thé start run possition . And i think it must come before thé run possition .

Tanks Ingrid.

I do not think it is the solenoid - a sticking solenoid will keep the starter engaged, she said the motor stays running after the key is turned off

Don:

Not always, as the coil line can still stick on inside the starter solenoid.  This is the biggest problem of the AMK concours-correct starter solenoid.

Don:

Not always, as the coil line can still stick on inside the starter solenoid.  This is the biggest problem of the AMK concours-correct starter solenoid.
Thanks for the info, I always assumed the started stayed on too

Back