Car wont turn over unless u jump the solenoid It's a 67 cougar though

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
I thought I would ask here b/c Midlife is here and he did wonders with my wives 73 stang wiring.  I'm not sure hwat is wrong but it won;t start with the key or turn off with the key!  It's like it is powering backwardsw thorugh the alternator!

Did this just start? You probably have a bad starter solenoid, stuck with the ignition (I) line at battery voltage.

I would start troubleshooting by making sure that the Red/Blue stripe wire is on the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid, closest to the battery, and that it has 0 volts when the key is off and 12V when the key is turned on. Disconnect the wire from the solenoid when doing the voltage test.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start troubleshooting by making sure that the Red/Blue stripe wire is on the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid, closest to the battery, and that it has 0 volts when the key is off and 12V when the key is turned on. Disconnect the wire from the solenoid when doing the voltage test.

Steve
That's the "S" Terminal, not the "I" Terminal.  The I is for ignition, S is for Starter.

Steve
That's the "S" Terminal, not the "I" Terminal.  The I is for ignition, S is for Starter.
My apologies. I didn't have one in front of me to look at, and misspoke.

Steve

Yes, That said I did have to do some splicing when I added the inner fenders...

The symptoms are. It will not turn over with the key. If I jump the solenoid with my snap on jumper button it starts but then will not shut off. I did remove and check the ignition switch it seems fine. I OHM it to check the continuity when the key is turned. Could the starter solenoid be the culprit?

Yes, for not shutting off. To check it pull the wire off the "I" terminal when it is running and the key is off.

However, I suspect both problems are caused by the ignition switch not being adjusted correctly, or there is a problem with your splices for not starting and the solenoid is keeping it running.

Edit: For not starting, make that a problem with the splices or ignition switch, the key cylinder and switch are combined on '67s, not separate as with ,'71-'73s.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i figured it out today. I had to add a 12 inch extension into the factory harness. Long story but it needed to happen. The 9 wires that are near the solenoid needed this extension. I was carefule and did the in and out car side correctly. I screwed up on the extension intself!. I had some wires in the 9 pin connector in the wrong place. I fixed them. It then woul start and die. I then traced that to the tach being reomved. I installed the factory tach and it started. I forgot the ignitionruns through the tach. I needed to remove the tach because it is goign to the body shop. I jumped th two tach wires and she purs wondefully!!! Checked the alternator and she is putting out almost 15 volts! Alll set!!

Back