starter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

164runner

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach1, medium blue, 351 C-6
starter makes noise when starting car, sounds like chevy starter, not shimed properly. I replaced starter when I first got car, it helped, but sound is still there. I since put new engine in car [ needed more power ] , 408c different block, new flexplate 157 T . has a C-6 and plate is in between block and trans. I have never had a ford sound like this, or had to shim a ford starter. ideas?

Usually only have to use a spacer shim for manual cars

I would be checking what flex plate you have first

From memory if you fitted a 157T to a larger(164T) bell housing your starter probably shouldn't engage at all so maybe not that

Make sure it is a C6 flex plate as they have a different offset to C4

C4/FMX flex plate the convertor mount point is flush with the engine side of the ring gear and C6 is flush with the trans side

Whether any of this affects your starter not sure, good luck

correction it has a 164 T flexplate. I tried something, installed shim, made no difference, removed shim. when I tighten starter back down, there is play around the bolt holes and bolts, so I turned starter to one side, pulling it away from flexplate. it helped, not as noisy. took pics of flexplate, try to download and get them on here.

has new flexplate, new engine. has about 100 miles on it.

has new flexplate, new engine. has about 100 miles on it.
Exactly, something isn't right about the flexplate. Maybe it's warped, or the ring gear is welded incorrectly, or the previous starter chewed up the teeth.

One possibility is that the converter isn't fully seated in the transmission and is pushing on the flexplate. Did you have plenty of freeplay when you installed the nuts on the converter studs? 

Can you turn the engine over while watching the flexplate through the inspection hole? If it's warped or has excessive runout, it should be fairly obvious.

had same sound with engine I pulled and the flexplate that was on that engine. transmission that was on that engine c-6, had issues, I replaced with new trans and converter. converter fully seated, trans bolted down before converter nuts were install, not in a bind at all. Only thing I am trying to find out is what ozcoup72 said about the mounting point of converter mount point on the flexplate.

found this flexplate from another 351c I bought for a spare engine. if ozcoup72 is right flexplate is for c-4/fmx. found a article on another website, someone else having a similar problem. can some of you guys confirm this.

A new starter does not mean there is nothing wrong with it. Buying new parts now days is a crap shoot, too many are defective out of the box.
You can say the same thing about wives... ::devil::

Back