Upper dash texture

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Hi Guys,

Is the texture on the upper dash and lower rear window trim stamped in the metal or is it a coating of some type.  Ready to redo these two pieces and need to know if it is ok to strip these to bare metal or not.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kilgon,

That finish is stamped in and is called "Camera Case".  OK to strip, but if sanded, go slowly and lightly.  Doesn't take much vigorous sanding to remove the textured finish which was also meant to reduce glare back up into the windshield. Same with painting, use several light coats and not one heavy "That oughta do it" coat.  I've seen many 65-66 Mustangs which had the same texture on the inside of the doors sanded smooth and painted with what appeared to be a thick heavy barn paint. The door panels were so smooth and shiney you almost needed sunglasses to look at them in the sunlight!

I always used Ford M4J-2083-P Charcoal Black Metallic, but it is no longer available.

Not sure if Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply stocks interior paint. If not I know that NPD (National Parts Depot) sells a SEM brand that others here have used and had favorable results.  There is a note for VP-4464 which states that it is specifically formulated for soft or flexible surfaces like vinyl and plastics, but they have found that it works well when used on properly prepared metal surfaces. The AP-4464 which is a lacquer paint formulated for metal surfaces is on backorder.

Hope this helps with what you were looking for.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=%2BVP-4464&top_parent=200001&year=

Thanks for the info Steve.

There are a couple of spots that look worn as if something was sliding around on the dash. Just might be where it was previously painted and is built up. I have been using sem Landau on the interior panels and trim around the headliner and a pillar.

I'm building more of a driver than show. Trying to do things right as I go along but the car has been modified. It's an ealy 71. Came as a "02" base fastback with 302 and C4 but has had a 460 with a C6 dropped into it and updated grille and trim to imitate a Mach 1. I know sem makes a Charcoal Metallic. I will pick some up.

Kilgon,

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

The texture is "Sierra", not "Camera Case", which is a wrinkled paint surface. Sierra is a well known texture used to diffuse reflections.

If stamped metal, the only way to strip the paint is to use aircraft stripper; the part looks to be molded plastic or fiberglass.

It is metal.  Has a few small dents in the leading edge.  So, if I use I aircraft stripper it will not harm it?
Correct.  It is about the only thing that can strip painted stamped metal without damage.  You can also try Easy Off Oven Cleaner (must have lye), which works on painted fiberglass textures. Once cleaned, use a light epoxy coat then a top coat.  Too many paint layers will smooth the texture out.

It is metal.  Has a few small dents in the leading edge.  So, if I use I aircraft stripper it will not harm it?
Correct.  It is about the only thing that can strip painted stamped metal without damage.  You can also try Easy Off Oven Cleaner (must have lye), which works on painted fiberglass textures.  Once cleaned, use a light epoxy coat then a top coat.  Too many paint layers will smooth the texture out.

Thanks for the info.   Will start on it tomorrow.

Agree with the Aircraft Stripper. Slop it on and place a sheet of plastic over the liquid. Keeps it wet longer so you use less. I used the SEM ColorCoat paint in my spray gun and it looks great. The small dents in the front are typically from the spotwelding process for the brackets on the underside. Make sure you use a low gloss or matte paint here, the glare is a killer if you use anything else. If the Landau Black is too shiny, SEM sells a nice matte clear.

Agree with the Aircraft Stripper. Slop it on and place a sheet of plastic over the liquid. Keeps it wet longer so you use less. I used the SEM ColorCoat paint in my spray gun and it looks great. The small dents in the front are typically from the spotwelding process for the brackets on the underside. Make sure you use a low gloss or matte paint here, the glare is a killer if you use anything else. If the Landau Black is too shiny, SEM sells a nice matte clear.

Thanks for the input.  Using SEM rattle can.  Going to put 4 or 5 coats on.  Have Landau black on all the trim so I think I'll stay with that on the upper dash.  I know the dash is suppose to be in Charcoal Metallic.  Don't know if there is much difference in actual color.  Good idea on using the clear matte to dull any shine.

Do you know what gloss level the grill and rear honeycomb are and what SEM line to use?

The charcoal on the dash frame does make a difference, it's just enough to make it not "flat", as you have a lot of low gloss black there.

For the grille and rear honeycomb, I installed new reproductions straight out of the box, just like the factory would have. If I were to need to paint them, I'd think the SEM Trim Black would be fine.

The charcoal on the dash frame does make a difference, it's just enough to make it not "flat", as you have a lot of low gloss black there.

For the grille and rear honeycomb, I installed new reproductions straight out of the box, just like the factory would have. If I were to need to paint them, I'd think the SEM Trim Black would be fine.

The Sem Trim Black has 3 gloss levels -Satin -Semi - High Gloss.  Which one would you recommend?  I'm thinking the satin or semi

I have done several of these. One thing I see on your dash is what looks like where someone slathered on the ArmorAll. That is what gives it that milky surface. You need to scrub that thing with lots of Dawn dish washing liquid in hot water. Use scrub brush and be vigorous. The silicone in ArmorAll is the worst thing you can do for your interior. 

Next wash with lacquer thinner and the paint might just wash off some does depends on it repainted in past. Even the stripper will not remove the silicone and will cause fish eyes. I would go no more that 2 coats 3 at the most. If you make it shiny be prepared to carry a towel to put on the dash to be able to see to drive. The sun glaring off the dash will not be the issue it will be the glare reflecting off the dash to the windshield that you will not be able to see. Sun glasses help. You need to back off with the spray can and fog it on the keep it matt.

I also see you have removed the VIN# tag or someone did. If using the stripper you need to due to it being aluminum I think. Also the rivets are a special flower pedal shape. I think they cost $25.00 for two of them, lol. If you need a VIN tag they are not cheap either, Marti will make you a new one for the little sum of Five Hundred Dollars after you show proof of ownership and VIN#.

I have done several of these. One thing I see on your dash is what looks like where someone slathered on the ArmorAll. That is what gives it that milky surface. You need to scrub that thing with lots of Dawn dish washing liquid in hot water. Use scrub brush and be vigorous. The silicone in ArmorAll is the worst thing you can do for your interior. 

Next wash with lacquer thinner and the paint might just wash off some does depends on it repainted in past. Even the stripper will not remove the silicone and will cause fish eyes. I would go no more that 2 coats 3 at the most. If you make it shiny be prepared to carry a towel to put on the dash to be able to see to drive. The sun glaring off the dash will not be the issue it will be the glare reflecting off the dash to the windshield that you will not be able to see. Sun glasses help. You need to back off with the spray can and fog it on the keep it matt.

I also see you have removed the VIN# tag or someone did. If using the stripper you need to due to it being aluminum I think. Also the rivets are a special flower pedal shape. I think they cost $25.00 for two of them, lol. If you need a VIN tag they are not cheap either, Marti will make you a new one for the little sum of Five Hundred Dollars after you show proof of ownership and VIN#.
Thanks for the feed back.

I had wiped the dash down with mineral spirits to get an idea of what I was dealing with.  The vin is there.  It's taped over with black duct tape.  All 3 vins match - door - dash and frame.  Have started stripping and is going well.  Using Klean aircraft stripper. 

Should get painted today if I can make my mind up on the color.  Still toying with staying with the Landau Black.  Have several can's of the Landau on hand yet and my money is tight "wad" lol.  I'm retired.  Don't know if there is much difference in the color between the Landau and Charcoal Metallic.  Wanting to look great but this is not a show car.  To many modifications have been done.

Thanks for the input.  Using SEM rattle can.  Going to put 4 or 5 coats on.  Have Landau black on all the trim so I think I'll stay with that on the upper dash.  I know the dash is suppose to be in Charcoal Metallic.  Don't know if there is much difference in actual color.  Good idea on using the clear matte to dull any shine.

Do you know what gloss level the grill and rear honeycomb are and what SEM line to use?
Whoa on the 4-5 coats!  You'll fill in the grain that way.  1 mist coat plus another full coat is all that you'll need after a coat of primer.

Whoa on the 4-5 coats!  You'll fill in the grain that way.  1 mist coat plus another full coat is all that you'll need after a coat of primer.

Thanks midlife - will take your advice.  I figure a few extra coats due to it being the dash but didn't think about filling in the grain.  Will start light and then one regular and work from there if needed..  I'm using rattle can so I use light coats to start with.

Project Completed!!!  Thanks to all for the help and great input.  I went ahead and used the Sem Landau Black.  If glare becomes a problem I will spray with clear matte.

Turned out great.  See pics. 

Back