Show and tell :-) please help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Howdy from Idaho,

Over the last 2 days my visiting father in law wanted to help tear down my 1971 351c matching # engine for a rebuild. Being I needed to go to the bathroom several times during this procedure( I'm getting old as well) I would often come back to more bolts in a bucket, that wasnt I.D'ed. I finally logged and bagged all the parts but I have a group that I can not identify. I asked the father in law and he said I dont know. Well he is 86 now so he probably doesn't know.

Please look over the picture and help me identify them................Many Thanks for your help! 

Parts are spring steel.

machattack,

Hopefully all of these made it to your parts bucket. The bolt is a rocker arm bolt and the stamped metal pieces are rocker arm oil baffles. They deflected the oil coming up through the push rods so the valve train was lubricated. Solid lifter Boss engines and 1970 model year hydraulic 351 C's had the baffle in the rocker/valve covers.

Oil Baffle used on 71/ 351C (Non Boss)

Oil baffle and bolt in place on a 351C

photo upload

machattack,

Thank you for your help Secluff!!!!!!!! :bravo:

I Feel stupid  :-/ had 14 of them staring me in the face and didnt see'em. Relieved that I do have all of them after the counting.

:thankyouyellow:

Hopefully all of these made it to your parts bucket. The bolt is a rocker arm bolt and the stamped metal pieces are rocker arm oil baffles. They deflected the oil coming up through the push rods so the valve train was lubricated. Solid lifter Boss engines and 1970 model year hydraulic 351 C's had the baffle in the rocker/valve covers.

Oil Baffle used on 71/ 351C (Non Boss)

Oil baffle and bolt in place on a 351C

photo upload

These oil baffles are also found in later years 351C's, my 73 has them as well.
Vinnie, the oil baffles were used on all 71/ 351C, 351M and 400 engines through the end of production in 1982 (Except "R" Boss/HO engine). The end of the line for a workhorse of an engine.

@ Fabrice.....there's always that missing bolt or (fill in the blank)

So....That's where it went!    :D

[had 14 of them staring me in the face and didnt see'em. Relieved that I do have all of them after the counting.]

You mean 16... unless you have a V7 engine of course. :)
I knew when I answered that way it would be confusing. 2 of them was in the picture so they were out of the pile. 14 were in the the bottom of bucket. So 14 plus 2 is 16. Hey Mom lokk.........I can Syffer those #s  :whistling:   Thanks folks for all your help.........always appreciated.

Back