wheel vintiques magnum 500s vs Jegs brand Sports star 5 spoke

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
so I have read a bunch of posts on this forum about wheel/tire size.  I've decided that I like what another forum member did on the rear of the car:  Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500's 15x10 with a 5" backspace with BFG radial 295/50/15.  However, I see that these wheels won't be delivered until November, and the cost is $293 per rim.  Jegs offers their own brand of rims called Sports Star 5-spoke and they are $133 each and ship right away.  the Sports Star rims have a 4.5" backspace.  is .5" of backspace going to be a problem? eg, interfere with rear sway bar, or some other interference issue?  I'm inclined to go with the much cheaper rims if they fit with the smaller backspace.  thanks

Yes, that 1/2" is enough to make a difference. The wheel and tire will stick out 1/2" further and when you are going with the maximum size wheel and tire that 1/2" may mean the tire rubs on the fender lip.

You can download the spreadsheet in this thread, and under the Clearances tab calculate what the widths of different size wheels, backspacing, and tires will be. Keep in mind that the fenders can easily be off center by 1/4" or more and when going over bumps and around corners the axle will move around.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-tire-sizes--11566?pid=115406#pid115406

Most wheels are made in China. I know the new Camaro aluminum wheels are I changed one for a friend and made in China. 

The biggest thing in the U.S. that kills us about being competitive is the unions. There are probably members here that swear by unions but they are not really needed in today's world. I took two case to the Labor Board in the past and won both without having a union or paying someone to talk for me. The laws are there that protect the worker that were not there in the past. In one case I got 8 weeks of back pay and my job back. Had gone to bat with a couple of apprentices that were not getting proper training in the shop and they fired me. They never touched me again. I eventually went to another job. The second was for $85,000 and again I won and they had to pay for my attorney also. If you have been done wrong at work you are covered today no questions asked. When I went to the Labor Board they told me not to even go look for another job to just sit at home that I would win. Law is law. Wrong is wrong and you do not need a union to do it for you.

The BMW plant in S.C. is not union and pay and benefits are equal to union shops. 

I have been in union plants and was not allowed to put a square on a part to see if it was straight because I was not a quality person. If your tool comes unplugged you have to call an electrician to come plug it in. If you run a lathe you cannot run a mill. Stupid stuff that doubles and triples the cost of doing business in the U.S.. We are becoming a nation run by attorneys and everyone afraid to talk for themselves.

When I ordered my 73 Mustang I had dealer check if I could take delivery at the assembly plant. They came back and said I could but would still have to pay the shipping due to union agreement.

Guys,

I do not believe that we should be discussing unions, politics or religion on this site. There is enough controversy in the world today.

I am a union pipefitter and definitely have a different view on the issue.

Thanks, Jay

Static said in his post he has 255s, but not wheel width. Due the the time difference between here and there it may be a while before he gets back to you. You might try searching for wheels for just his forum name to see if he has posted any other information about them. The search function is under the More tab at the upper right of this page.

Wheel sizes have been discussed many times on the forum, you will come up with many threads and posts if you search.

i'm just a guy trying to understand if 15x10 rims with a 4.5" backspace and 295/50 tires will fit on the rear without a problem.
+1 my friend! 

Why do you want to go so wide on your back tires? I have 245-60's on 8" rims on mine and it's more than enough tire to go around corners pretty hard. I have 235-60's up front on 7" rims. My rims are Wheel Vintiques, They look good on the outside, but the inner is starting to show light rust. Don't forget they MUST be balanced with an adaptor for the bolt holes as they are centerless. Mine needed between 1 and 4 oz per wheel to balance them.

Another consideration will be speedo gearing, you will likely need to switch the trans gear. There is a chart to determine that on NPD etc. I also had a chart for BFG tires that will tell you what tire on what rim width, can't find it now, but you can Google that info.

Just my thought on it, but your choice.

I want bigger wheels/tires in the back because I think they look cool. it really has nothing to do with traction. I like the 70's hotrod vibe.

I will be changing the rear diff soon to a 3.50 posi , so I will sort out the speedo gear for the wheels and tires at the same time. my speedo is kph anyway, so I run a GPS based digital speedo on my dash right now. i like seeing a digital number for speed. the gps speedo takes about 20 secs to get a signal at start up, and gets a little confused when I stop at a light, but is pretty accurate

So this is 295/15's with 5" of backspacing and they just are flush with the outer edge of the wheel well. 5.5" would be preferred, but I was afraid they might rub on the rear anti-sway bar. 1/2" doesn't sound like much but it will be outside the wheel well, and rubbing might be an issue, and it does have a different look to it.

Static said in his post he has 255s, but not wheel width. Due the the time difference between here and there it may be a while before he gets back to you. You might try searching for wheels for just his forum name to see if he has posted any other information about them. The search function is under the More tab at the upper right of this page.

Wheel sizes have been discussed many times on the forum, you will come up with many threads and posts if you search.
Oh sorry guys -- I didn't see these questions until now   :shootself:

On my car I think width they are 7" front 8" rear ... I think

When I rip off those awful MT's and change to BFG I'll measure up

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the Jegs Sport Star wheels and have been pleased.  I think the look compliments the car and they were lighter than the steel wheels I took off my Coupe. I went with 15x10 wide on the back with 275/60 tires.  I actually run these wheels on both my '71 and '72.  I believe the back spacing on the rear wheels is 5.5" and the part number to be 555-66085 

(I run 15x7s in front on the Coupe and 15x8s in front on the Mach).  Hope this helps ::thumb::

WP_20190716_009.jpg

WP_20180324_012.jpg

i'm just a guy trying to understand if 15x10 rims with a 4.5" backspace and 295/50 tires will fit on the rear without a problem.
OK - now we're talkin' about something I'm intimately familiar with.

I'd ordered a set of Cragar S/Ss for mine - 15x8 and 15x10s to fit 245/60R15 and 295/50R15, respectively.  The 15x10s were 'off the shelf' from Summit Racing, and had 4 1/4" backspacing.  I absolutely LOVED the deep dish look, however, they stuck out about a half inch and would buzz the wheel wells a tiny bit when the suspension flexed on the dips of the road.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I ordered a set of custom offset rims from Cragar thru Summit Racing - with 5 1/4" back spacing.  They tuck in a bit better, and no 'buzzing' on the wheel wells.

Frankcarshow_2017-5.jpg

Frankcarshow_2017-6.jpg

You can just barely see the difference between the pics above, but here's the actual before and after comparison of the rims (same tires, just took 'em off and had 'em remounted on the new rims at Discount Tire).

Before:

rearwheelold1.jpg

rearwheelold2.jpg

After:

rearwheelnew1.jpg

rearwheelnew2.jpg

There's still plenty of clearance to the springs and everything.  I've heard/seen 5" backspacing on 15x10s being optimal, all the way to 6.5".  I think 5.5" is the sweet spot, actually.

Hope this helps!

Back