Classic Auto Air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daves72

Reaction score
Just got the Mustang back from the shop on Friday. The PO had changed the engine for an 87 5.0 roller, but cobbled in the AC system from it so the air blew on your ankles, not htrough the ducts.

I had cobbled together the pieces from an original 72 AC system, rebuilt the case, replaced the heater core, and pressure tested the evaporator, but my mechanic talked me into going wiht a Classic Auto Air inside system instead. The kit cost ~$675, i had a good compressor, and had bought a Silla condensor, so that was all I needed. He installed the kit and charged it with R134. I picked the car up Friday at 4pm and commented on what an oven it was inside when I got in. It was 98 degrees and highly humid.

By the time I'd driven 1/4 mile, the car was comfortable, and after a mile, I had to turn the air down because I was freezing! Definitely got my bang for my buck on this one!

Was fun to have the car back. He had it for 3 months as I had told him to take his time. He installed a new HEI dizzy, plumbed and installed the AC, patched all the PO's butchering of the radiator support and firewall, installed the dash, chased down numerous electrical gremlins, and a myriad of other issues. The alternator will need to be replaced as it seems to be failing, but otherwise, it was nice to have my toy home again.

For those on the fence, the CAA kit was definitely worthwhile.

I'd love to have A/C, but I think the cost will be a bit prohibitive for me...my car wasn't built with it and I have no parts at all. I can live with no A/C...hell, It's only got an AM single speaker radio! All I need is the windows down and the roar of the V8 to keep me cool and entertained...LOL

I'd love to have A/C, but I think the cost will be a bit prohibitive for me...my car wasn't built with it and I have no parts at all. I can live with no A/C...hell, It's only got an AM single speaker radio! All I need is the windows down and the roar of the V8 to keep me cool and entertained...LOL
You'd be surprised. It's possible for ~$1100.

I had everything but the compressor replaced for ~$900.

Definitely makes the car more fun in all weather.

That's the one thing I promised myself, for the next time I purchased a classic...WORKING A/C. But you're right, without at least "original plumbing", it can be a pain. Cost not so much an issue, to me anyway, but appearance, especially inside.

Just found out, my "new" baby is sitting on the ground in Ohio and YES, the A/C is "ice cold". :D

Back