New poster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 Vert
4R70W
351C 2V 441 hp @ 6000 RPM
SEFI EEC-V (2004)
Weiand 7615 intake
Edlbrk 61629 heads
Icon flattops 10.66:1
Comp Hyd cam Hyd rollers
paying for a 1973 Mustang Convertible H_code 351C-2V that was originally painted pink at the factory. The car was purchased by a Mrs. Beny in Lethbridge Alberta Canada. She was the wife of the Dunlop Ford Sales Manager in the 70's and apparently wanted a pink mustang convertible. The car was purchased from Mrs. Beny by my father in approx 1980 and after his passing this year I just couldn't let it go to a stranger so I purchased it from my mom. The car is still in the Lethbridge area until I go down south to pick it up. I wanted to know a little about the pink paint job so I started a google search and discovered the origin of a couple of different pinks that were available from Ford in the 70's. I am not sure which pink this car was done in so I ordered the Marti report online last night and I am waiting for its' arrival to start my search. Before my dad purchased the car Mrs. Beny had it painted white, not sure dad would have bought a pink car, so it does not have the original colour except in areas of the car where the painter didn't cover over the original colour. The pink colour is very pale and makes me think it is likely Playmate Pink vs. Passion Pink. I found a website that apparently is focused on these cars but a message from Go-Daddy pops up any time I try to access the url and I can't get to it. If anyone has anymore info on these paint jobs I would love to hear about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I also have a 1973 vert that was Special Paint & Trim.

Sorry but Marti will be of no hope on the color. He can give you a window sticker and report that tells you that it was a Special Paint & Trim car but he did not get the records for any of them. They were held by each DSO and were destroyed.

You should remove the interior and search for the build sheet. Can be under seat, in springs, under sound deaden-er or stuffed in seat riser.

First to confirm that it was a Factory Special Order it will have a six digit DSO code. The first two are the DSO and the last four was record of what was special. If not six digit DSO then the dealer changed the color or someone did other than factory.

Ford did the special paint cars in their specialty shop like where they do police cars or fleet cars that get the companies colors. The charge was for transportation I was told. Built the car through primer and sent out for color and back for final assembly.

Also in 1973 the Special paint cars had Argent Front Bumpers which will be listed on your build sheet in the special remarks on the bottom half. 

I sent Marti a copy of mine and that was the first time he had seen the Argent Bumper note. There were two other items listed on mine something about wheels but cannot make it out was so bad. The rubber fillers in front of the rear bumper were also Argent. 

Ford did that due to the fact that rubber parts needed a special paint that was not available in non factory colors. 

If you paid for it Ford would give you about anything as long as not safety or emissions related.

I have attached a picture of a Black special paint vert that another member owns. Mine is also black and could tell that was original due to end of door with sticker on had not been painted. Still has the WW stamp, Wind & Water, lol. 

Here are some pics and will see if the Marti is on here.

Get a picture of the door sticker and there will not be a color code and will have the six digits. 

The pics of the Marti are not great but you can see the $99.95 charge for the special paint. But nothing stated about the color. 

I think there were Pink Mustang about every year due to Playboy and Cher had one also I believe. 

Cheers,

David

image uploading site

Thank you very much for the information. Wish I had posted here before spending $270 on a Marti report, shoot!

Did you change out the rear bumper?

Thank you very much for the information. Wish I had posted here before spending $270 on a Marti report, shoot!

The car in the picture is another members car. The rear bumper on it has the rub strip and guards was an added cost option. 

My car had few options on it. It was on ebay and he had not posted picture of the door tag. I got him to take picture and send me so I knew right off it was special order paint car. 

I ordered one in 73 a Mach 1 but when they said front bumper was going to be argent I change to stock color. I had ordered a Lincoln color that was dark brown metallic. I ended up with 5-H Medium Brown Metallic. This car is now in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum in Concord, N.C..

The car in the picture is another members car. The rear bumper on it has the rub strip and guards was an added cost option. 

My car had few options on it. It was on ebay and he had not posted picture of the door tag. I got him to take picture and send me so I knew right off it was special order paint car. 

I ordered one in 73 a Mach 1 but when they said front bumper was going to be argent I change to stock color. I had ordered a Lincoln color that was dark brown metallic. I ended up with 5-H Medium Brown Metallic. This car is now in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum in Concord, N.C..

Thanks for all the information. Aargh, I find this site difficult to manager.

You'll be glad that you got the Marti report on your car, it'll have information about the uniqueness of your car. I believe the majority of owners on this forum have them.

Be careful with Marti reports and the bumper protection packages... For some reason, his reports consistently show car's supposedly having bumper guards when there was never any installed on the car at the factory... His reports differ from the factory invoice in this area as they don't show the bumper guards... I have reviewed many car's, especially '71's where this has occurred. I spoke to him two year's ago at the Mustang Memories show in Michigan and through e-mail requests showing the discrepancy about this and well, they ignored me... I wanted my J Code vert report to be re-issued without the indication of bumper guards; crickets...

Be careful with Marti reports and the bumper protection packages... For some reason, his reports consistently show car's supposedly having bumper guards when there was never any installed on the car at the factory... His reports differ from the factory invoice in this area as they don't show the bumper guards... I have reviewed many car's, especially '71's where this has occurred. I spoke to him two year's ago at the Mustang Memories show in Michigan and through e-mail requests showing the discrepancy about this and well, they ignored me... I wanted my J Code vert report to be re-issued without the indication of bumper guards; crickets...
73 invoices list it as either deluxe bumper group $25 or as rear bumper guards $14. The Deluxe bumper group included the horizontal rubber strips on the bumper. All my 73 verts came with bumper guards from the factory.

Here are pictures and info on a Pink 73 H code vert...  Its not all stock, as it has a pink bumper, H code with duel exhaust, and a marroon soft-top., but its a nice looking car. https://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1973/1973_00095_01.shtml
  Wow, thank you so much for the link. It is the same configuration as the car I just purchased, I believe mine also had the white top. I love the silver stripes, I can't wait to see what the car looked like when it was first rolled out. Another poster told me to look for the build codes in the seat springs, I vaguely remember my dad saying something about papers he found in the car so I hope he never pulled them out. If he did I may never find them, he was kinda disorganized. I love the Burgundy top too.

73 invoices list it as either deluxe bumper group $25 or as rear bumper guards $14. The Deluxe bumper group included the horizontal rubber strips on the bumper. All my 73 verts came with bumper guards from the factory.
I received a couple of pictures of my car and looked at the rear shot. It does have the vertical bumper guards. I added a couple of pictures to the original post. Do you think it would effect the value of car to change the hood to include a scoop, electronic ignition, a 4v intake, a cowl under the front bumper, and have the rebuild on the engine add 4-bolt mains and higher compression pistons?

Here are pictures and info on a Pink 73 H code vert...  Its not all stock, as it has a pink bumper, H code with duel exhaust, and a marroon soft-top., but its a nice looking car. https://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1973/1973_00095_01.shtml
  Wow, thank you so much for the link. It is the same configuration as the car I just purchased, I believe mine also had the white top. I love the silver stripes, I can't wait to see what the car looked like when it was first rolled out. Another poster told me to look for the build codes in the seat springs, I vaguely remember my dad saying something about papers he found in the car so I hope he never pulled them out. If he did I may never find them, he was kinda disorganized. I love the Burgundy top too.
You should look for the buildsheet under passenger side front carpet or under the passenger seat in the springs or over the glovebox. It will like this....

image hosting free

Yes, by '73 they seem to be on the rear bumper's consistently, but '71 was much different in this respect...

Yes, by '73 they seem to be on the rear bumper's consistently, but '71 was much different in this respect...
On the Marti report (ordered in 2017) for one of my 73 verts, the "Deluxe Bumper Group" option is called "Bumper Rub Strips" and on the report (ordered in 1999) for another 73 vert they call it "Deluxe Bumper Group". Don't know why the inconsistency.

Or, if yours is where mine was, under the floor insulation/sound deadening, it might look like this not a lot of use :(

Don, On close inspection, I can make out most of the info on yours. AM radio, rotation number, engine, and trans tag numbers, etc.  I wish I had one as good as yours for all of my cars. I have a buildsheet that was stuck to the underlayment so bad it was almost completely absorbed into the underlayment and was 90 percent unreadable. I had to cut out the underlayment with the buildsheet attached to preserve it...what for? I don't know you can barely read any of it, but I just did not want to trash it. 

Back