rear deck speaker fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

164runner

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach1, medium blue, 351 C-6
after you installed speakers in the rear deck of your fastback, what did you do with the spare tire? have 2 1/2 inches gap from top of tire to the bottom of the rear deck. speaker measures 2 1/2 inch from mounting flange to the bottom of magnet, these are 4 by 10 speakers that fit the factory hole without cutting.

after you installed speakers in the rear deck of your fastback, what did you do with the spare tire? have 2 1/2 inches gap from top of tire to the bottom of the rear deck. speaker measures 2 1/2 inch from mounting flange to the bottom of magnet, these are 4 by 10 speakers that fit the factory hole without cutting.
 OK, you have a Mustang fastback, probably with a loud exhaust, so why do you need large rear speakers?

I do have rear speakers in my Mach 1, but only small 4" diameter ones that also fit without cutting anything structural. I made up a new shelf out of 1/8" hardboard and mounted the two speakers on 1/2" plywood rings I made. I drilled a bunch of small holes in the hardboard, then covered it with a "utility" carpet I found at the local car parts and you name it store. The result is the speakers are unseen, the parcel shelf looks somewhat correct and I can listen to my original, albeit 73, AM/FM radio when I'm not wanting to listen to my exhaust note. There is a stereo front speaker mounted in the factory dash location as well and I blend the two.

There is plenty of room for a spare tire with these, but I do need to be careful when putting "stuff" in the trunk. Often I leave the tire out, only using it if I'm on a longer trip to a show. If you want the big speakers, leave the tire out. Also you deo not need a whopping big spare tire. Buy say a 215 60 14 or 15" on a steel rim. After all, it's just a spare and better than a "donut"

Geoff.

I have 6x9s with some risers by Retrosound.  I admit they do look a little dorky, but they're pretty invisible thanks to the louvers and the fact that nobody can actually see anything back there anyway.   rofl

attachment.php

no loud exhaust, ears cant take it. new speakers in doors, original speakers went bad. just want a decent sounding radio, no boom box. when I get car out on weekends and drink my morning coffee at gas station want a decent sounding radio. trunk is to nice to move spare tire. the two responses I got so far is what I been thinking about, just want to hear more ideas. deas.

no loud exhaust, ears cant take it. new speakers in doors, original speakers went bad. just want a decent sounding radio, no boom box. when I get car out on weekends and drink my morning coffee at gas station want a decent sounding radio. trunk is to nice to move spare tire. the two responses I got so far is what I been thinking about, just want to hear more ideas.deas.
 Ah, I see you have an original spare by the look of it. I get what you mean. I'd look for a pair of high power, but smaller speakers. The 4" diam. that I have were cheapo's, but have adequate sound for my ears. I just want the radio on at times and with the balance split between back and front, I think you'll be happy. No 'boom box' for me either!

speakers are now 4 by 8, they are not as deep, gave me more room for the spare tire. this is what I done so far, hope to have it done this weekend. I used speaker cloth to cover the package tray.

multiple image hosting

speakers are now 4 by 8, they are not as deep, gave me more room for the spare tire. this is what I done so far, hope to have it done this weekend. I used speaker cloth to cover the package tray.
That should be good. Glad you figured out what works for you.

done. now have sound front and back, don't sound too bad, and didn't break my bank account

Nice job. Glad you didn't mount them above the "parcel shelf" I think that speakers look out of place where they can be seen. Sorry, just my opinion.

What material did you choose to cover the p/s? Looks like a pro job, well done.

Geoff.

As far as I know Ford never put rear speakers in the Mustang or our years anyway. What do you want to hear besides the engine. I drove 200 miles today and never even thought of turning on radio, lol. Was in the mountains, winding roads and there was over 1,000 cars showed up in the absolute middle of no where. Was crazy. 

Forget the speakers. I took all of that out and to amps and tossed. Now to find panels with no holes, Impossible.

its speaker cloth for home stereo speakers

Glad you didn't mount them above the "parcel shelf" I think that speakers look out of place where they can be seen. Sorry, just my opinion.
Ummm... noted.  :whistling:

lollerz

Seriously though - that looks awesome!  I'd thought about mounting them from underneath, but that space is for a custom box with 2 10" subs and a 200 watt amp.  Sorry David, as much as I like how the engine sounds, I still like my tunes.

Here is how mine look, but irrelevant since I don't have that book shelf in the back due to folding seats. I just have a big useless crevice. Even though the grill says Pioneer they are really Kicker. The old speaker's grill fits better with the classic look of the car.

Glad you didn't mount them above the "parcel shelf" I think that speakers look out of place where they can be seen. Sorry, just my opinion.
Ummm... noted.  :whistling:

lollerz

Seriously though - that looks awesome!  I'd thought about mounting them from underneath, but that space is for a custom box with 2 10" subs and a 200 watt amp.  Sorry David, as much as I like how the engine sounds, I still like my tunes.
I agree with you Eric, I like to hear some tunes too. What’s better than cranking down the road with one of your favorite tunes cranked up a bit? I can still hear my engine and with a great song in the background, it just doesn’t get much better! 

Didn’t do anything real fancy, just a Retrosound radio w/Bluetooth. Got a pair of Pioneer 300 watt speakers in the back and some 3” speakers in the front dash. Sounds great even with no amp.

Back