Looking for a dream Boss

1sostatic

If I were to start looking for a "R" code Boss 351 (71 or 72) -- in reasonable, solid condition -- what would I be expected to pay ?

where's the best places to start looking? 

what would you look for ?

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

Start with your arm, add a leg, the other arm, several tons of cash and you might find a rusted out pile of garbage.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Start with your arm, add a leg, the other arm, several tons of cash and you might find a rusted out pile of garbage.

Will a left nut do?  ::thumb::

The Boss is "02" body is it ? ... does it come in "03" vert ?

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

Will a left nut do?  ::thumb::

No Boss verts.

John - 72 Q Code

Look at Cars On Line.com mustangs there is 7 for sale on that site

If I were to start looking for a "R" code Boss 351 (71 or 72)  -- in reasonable, solid condition -- what would I be expected to pay ?

where's the best places to start looking? 

what would you look for ?

IF I were in the market for a 71-72 R-code, I might start with talking to kevken1959. He has a huge trove of cars (and at least 4 R-codes that he admits to) and I'm sure knows where more are located.

71 Boss 351s were all "02Rxxxxxx" serials, and technically were there own specific model.

72 351HO drivetrain (engine, 4 speed, 3.91 trac loc) was available in any body style and model of Mustang. Kervken has two of the IIRC 13 R-code 'verts made.

His bright blue metallic 351HO vert was local to me , about an hour away in Mass. I almost bid when it was on eBay. I also passed on an MCA award winning 72 R-code sportsroof about 10 years ago. Just didn't have the scratch at the time to make it happen.

I haven't noticed many recently, but I haven't really been looking for them either. If I recall correctly, for a decent one you are looking at $45K USD and up, depending on the market at the time of purchase. A '72 R code should be quite a bit less because it isn't actually called a Boss 351. Also, the rarity of that drivetrain for '72 isn't as widely known among collectors.

You can try searchtempest.com and type in "boss". The fewer words the better. Select how far you are willing to go and hang on. Also may I suggest that you consider the best car that you can afford since chasing those impossible to find parts can get very pricey. Ask me how I know? Ed Raver

If you have the asking price of a restored or survivor car with all of the rare parts present, you won't have to lose one bit of sanity. ;)