Looking for a dream Boss

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
If I were to start looking for a "R" code Boss 351 (71 or 72) -- in reasonable, solid condition -- what would I be expected to pay ?

where's the best places to start looking? 

what would you look for ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can probably start with those online dating services ... wait that's for finding a different type of boss

If I were to start looking for a "R" code Boss 351 (71 or 72)  -- in reasonable, solid condition -- what would I be expected to pay ?

where's the best places to start looking? 

what would you look for ?
IF I were in the market for a 71-72 R-code, I might start with talking to kevken1959. He has a huge trove of cars (and at least 4 R-codes that he admits to) and I'm sure knows where more are located.

The Boss is "02" body is it ? ... does it come in "03" vert ?
71 Boss 351s were all "02Rxxxxxx" serials, and technically were there own specific model.

72 351HO drivetrain (engine, 4 speed, 3.91 trac loc) was available in any body style and model of Mustang. Kervken has two of the IIRC 13 R-code 'verts made.

His bright blue metallic 351HO vert was local to me , about an hour away in Mass. I almost bid when it was on eBay. I also passed on an MCA award winning 72 R-code sportsroof about 10 years ago. Just didn't have the scratch at the time to make it happen.

I haven't noticed many recently, but I haven't really been looking for them either. If I recall correctly, for a decent one you are looking at $45K USD and up, depending on the market at the time of purchase. A '72 R code should be quite a bit less because it isn't actually called a Boss 351. Also, the rarity of that drivetrain for '72 isn't as widely known among collectors.

You can try searchtempest.com and type in "boss". The fewer words the better. Select how far you are willing to go and hang on. Also may I suggest that you consider the best car that you can afford since chasing those impossible to find parts can get very pricey. Ask me how I know? Ed Raver

If you have the asking price of a restored or survivor car with all of the rare parts present, you won't have to lose one bit of sanity. ;)

Check the inventory list of Rick Parker of Signature Auto www.Bosscars.com

He has a Grabber Yellow Boss for sale.

Back