'73 Coupe- Value?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop

Curious...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am tainted because my first car was similar, the specs are good. 4brl, 4speed, hardtop is great for its rear seat space. While all would not agree, ginger interior is so period perfect. Worth a serious consideration in my eyes. Much more to find out, but that is the fun. Please keep us posted.

Oh, and air conditioning! Back in the day many of us Canadians could not afford that tic box.

I am tainted because my first car was similar, the specs are good. 4brl, 4speed, hardtop is great for its rear seat space. While all would not agree, ginger interior is so period perfect. Worth a serious consideration in my eyes. Much more to find out, but that is the fun. Please keep us posted.
May be coming to the Great White North...  I think it is an awesome car. Like you, somewhat tainted, as it was my very first Mustang (1971 Hardtop). I have been looking for a nice 4-spd Hardtop for a while now. I like the quirky non-mainstream car's; the exterior paint and interior color on this car fits the bill. I have had a few '71-3's with the Ginger interior and always loved them. For some reason, this color interior is always in much better shape then any other color when i look at car's. They just seem to last really well...

Oh, and air conditioning! Back in the day many of us Canadians could not afford that tic box.
This original A/C is still working well on this car...

Love the coupe, my first car was a '73 Grande in Medium Bright yellow w/ginger interior.

That said, $30K asking is a LOT of money for a 71-73 coupe. That's heading into 429 territory.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2264980.html

Overall, the car looks good, but that yellow hides a a lot of sins.

The car has also been treated to a bunch of rattle-can and spray bomb "detailing". The detailer's spray gloss on the engine compartment is the first warning sign. If you look at the undercarriage pics, you can see the exhaust system has been haphazardly painted silver, there's black over spray on the shock hardware, things that would have been bare metal and surface rusted are painted black and not with a bunch of care either. The starter, clutch boot and shift linkage has cast grey overspray from them painting the bellhousing and trans, the steering linkage and suspension have all sorts of different sheens of black on them.

IMO, this place specializes in "Fluff n Buff". They probably pressure washed the underside and then spent a day or two painting everything to make it look like a "restoration", rather than what it is.

FWIW, this car is probably worth in the $15k range IF it's solid and rust free. For the $30k asking, it would have to be a rotisserie restoration to some level. It clearly is just a nice survivor that they ruined with their cans of Krylon.

Hanksters Hot Rods? That’s a warning sign right there. And when did they put on the Hurst Equiped badge? And the cheesy cobra jet badge on the hood? Never seen that before. Hemikiller is spot on with all the rattle can touch ups. And I believe the air cleaner lid is from 72, the 73’s were not chrome.

Looks pretty nice but no way for 30k.

Love the coupe, my first car was a '73 Grandé in Medium Bright yellow w/ginger interior.

That said, $30K asking is a LOT of money for a 71-73 coupe. That's heading into 429 territory.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2264980.html

Overall, the car looks good, but that yellow hides a a lot of sins.

The car has also been treated to a bunch of rattle-can and spray bomb "detailing". The detailer's spray gloss on the engine compartment is the first warning sign. If you look at the undercarriage pics, you can see the exhaust system has been haphazardly painted silver, there's black over spray on the shock hardware, things that would have been bare metal and surface rusted are painted black and not with a bunch of care either. The starter, clutch boot and shift linkage has cast grey overspray from them painting the bellhousing and trans, the steering linkage and suspension have all sorts of different sheens of black on them.

IMO, this place specializes in "Fluff n Buff". They probably pressure washed the underside and then spent a day or two painting everything to make it look like a "restoration", rather than  what it is.

FWIW, this car is probably worth in the $15k range  IF it's solid and rust free. For the $30k asking, it would have to be a rotisserie restoration to some level. It clearly is just a nice survivor that they ruined with their cans of Krylon.

I think in general consensus, when looking at these car's; I agree with your comments. But, I think you have generalized this car too much. There are also many signs that the car is in fact an extremely nice car. I quickly caught onto the engine compartment detail spray but that is a minor issue overall. Underneath is a shame, yes, but not un-fixable with a little elbow grease. I personally believe that the car just aged, surface rust over time and they chose to try and cover it up. Lousy attempt, yes, but to a purist like me a definite no-no and it would have been much better presented untouched... All of this can be rectified, quite easily if you are willing to take the time to remove and correct. 

$15K haha, sure. Let me know how many factory hardtop 4-spds you see out there for sale for $15K. 

This car is a hidden gem in my opinion and in my experience with them. There is also very much good and original about the car...

$30K for a 429? Yes, one that needs a fair bit of restoration IMO.

Hanksters Hot Rods? That’s a warning sign right there. And when did they put on the Hurst Equipped badge? And the cheesy cobra jet badge on the hood? Never seen that before. Hemikiller is spot on with all the rattle can touch ups. And I believe the air cleaner lid is from 72, the 73’s were not chrome.

The name? Not sure why that would be a warning sign... Have you had personal experience with the two locations in the US. Clearly, the owner back in California added a couple badges over the years that should not be there and wont be in the future... No big deal IMO. I have to look into the lid thing a little more before I comment...

I find on this site, we are our own worst enemy when it comes to try increasing the value of these cars, both within the hobby and in the public opinion... We might as well just send them all to the scrap heap and buy a pre-71 and fit in with the masses. LOL

Hanksters Hot Rods? That’s a warning sign right there. And when did they put on the Hurst Equipped badge? And the cheesy cobra jet badge on the hood? Never seen that before. Hemikiller is spot on with all the rattle can touch ups. And I believe the air cleaner lid is from 72, the 73’s were not chrome.

The name? Not sure why that would be a warning sign... Have you had personal experience with the two locations in the US. Clearly, the owner back in California added a couple badges over the years that should not be there and won't be in the future... No big deal IMO. I have to look into the lid thing a little more before I comment...

I find on this site, we are our own worst enemy when it comes to try increasing the value of these cars, both within the hobby and in the public opinion... We might as well just send them all to the scrap heap and buy a pre-71 and fit in with the masses. LOL
No, I don’t have a personal experience with them, but never heard of them before either. I have looked at a lot of adds and websites and such, sorry guess I’m just being a bit judgmental. Just the way they rattle caned and whatever else they did to the car makes me wonder. But it sure looks like you can get all correct without too much work. Not trying to be too critical, just don’t want anyone to get ripped off. I’m sure you know what too look for.

Well, I sure don’t think they are ready for a scrap heap. I have a 72 and don’t care it not a pre 71. I looked for one of theses cause they are different and cool too! But the value for them seems too have stalled for quite some time. I really wish the value of them would go up. It also seems like the plan janes of our years don’t bring more than the Mach’s do. I do think that it really is a great looking car. 

No to the masses for me! LOL

The name? Not sure why that would be a warning sign... Have you had personal experience with the two locations in the US. Clearly, the owner back in California added a couple badges over the years that should not be there and won't be in the future... No big deal IMO. I have to look into the lid thing a little more before I comment...

No, I don’t have a personal experience with them, but never heard of them before either. I have looked at a lot of adds and websites and such, sorry guess I’m just being a bit judgmental. Just the way they rattle caned and whatever else they did to the car makes me wonder. But it sure looks like you can get all correct without too much work. Not trying to be too critical, just don’t want anyone to get ripped off. I’m sure you know what too look for.

Well, I sure don’t think they are ready for a scrap heap. I have a 72 and don’t care it not a pre 71. I looked for one of theses cause they are different and cool too! But the value for them seems too have stalled for quite some time. I really wish the value of them would go up. It also seems like the plan janes of our years don’t bring more than the Mach’s do. I do think that it really is a great looking car. 

No to the masses for me! LOL

Like any classic car dealership, they have their good and bad, I suppose. I personally like to take on complete car's that are hiding all the original factory history underneath. This car is one of those, the potential is there, but once again, I will have to fix someone else's slap happy work... The value is what it is today... I never came into purchasing these car's expecting to make money, I have on a few car's but most, no... I leave a legacy of returning a car to near factory and take solace in this fact. I like the history of the car's today... I'll update on the refurbishment as time goes by, but I am confident this is a very nice near factory original car. When reviewing, I go so far as to look at the type of exhaust clamps installed and if you find the pic with the rear of the undercarriage, you will see that the tailpipes are supported by the original (at least in appearance) clamp's. Most of these are discarded over time, this car still retains them, albeit now in bright silver paint, sigh...

I think it's a very cool car and worth whatever anyone is willing to be happy paying for it. Use the spray can restoration stuff as a bargaining chip. I wiped the "spray" off the frame rails and engine compartment of a really low mile 69 scj and left the original drips and bare metal assembly line circles. I used Dupont 3812s synthetic enamel reducer. It's way worse when some nut gets 2k primer and paint every where. If you get it have fun and look for a good deal on rags!

I think it's a very cool car and worth whatever anyone is willing to be happy paying for it. Use the spray can restoration stuff as a bargaining chip. I wiped the "spray" off the frame rails and engine compartment of a really low mile 69 scj and left the original drips and bare metal assembly line circles. I used Dupont 3812s synthetic enamel reducer. It's way worse when some nut gets 2k primer and paint every where. If you get it have fun and look for a good deal on rags!

Yes. It is a labor of love when we get under these and start to bring them back to what we believe is best. I know I have my work cut out for me and i will do what i did a couple year's back on my '73 Vert, take everything inderneath off the car and start from scratch. Its the only way to do it properly...

https://ibb.co/CtGqZpr[/URL]quick image upload

Ken,

It looks like you have found your next diamond in the rough..... I do agree with you about the outstanding details with this car. It will be a beauty as with your other top shelf cars for sure.

Thanks, Jay

Back