Leather wrapped steering wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeereFanatic

Reaction score
Has anyone redone the leather wrap on this wheel? What did you find behind the old leather? Mine had duct tape under the old leather. I don’t know if it was the original wrap or not. What was under yours?

73 mach1 deluxe interior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone redone the leather wrap on this wheel?  What did you find behind the old leather? Mine had duct tape under the old leather. I don’t know if it was the original wrap or not. What was under yours?

73 mach1 deluxe interior

Sent from my iPhone using
Yes, you could get the leather wrapped steering wheel option in ‘73. My Vert has it. No duct tape :) There is a big difference evident though, the deluxe steering is different between the wrapped and non-wrapped versions. The grip is different, with the non wrapped having more indentations around the wheel for a “sure” grip. The wrapped wheel is smoother and the grip is achieved via the tightly wrapped leather cover. I redid my leather wrap, bought the kit out of California somewhere...

I ordered one on my Mach 1 in 73. It was an option pulled over from the Pinto line believe it or not. Yes there is a guy on ebay that sells the wraps. You will have to stitch it on has the holed pierced for thread. I would use kevlar thread. I only have brown thread if you need some I will send for free have several large spools of it for upholstery work. I think it is called a baseball stitch. You can get curved needles at sewing shop.

My wheel like new with only 12,000 miles.

Marti's book does not even list the leather wheel under the options but they are out there.

Pics before car was cleaned like new after Lexol applied. I have tilt also.

I have a '71 mach 1 that I wrapped the wheel with a factory looking leather wrap years ago. I 've replaced it a few time over the years with a sew-on leather wrap that Superior Industries USED to offer. About a year ago, I found, on Amazon, a leather steering wheel wrap made by Aully Park. Aully Park's brown color is a good match for my Ginger interior, however, I had to "narrow" the leather wrap ( our cars have skinny steering wheels compared to late model cars ), and punch sewing holes back into the remaining edge. It fits tight and looks good, but these wraps that fit our wheels are getting harder to find.

My original wheel had some cracks in it here and there, so I epoxied the cracks smooth and let that dry, prior to covering.

I have never had the cover off of my original 73 but the base wheel looks to be fatter than a regular one. I was told that it was pulled to the Mustang from the Pinto line so if looking for one Pinto should be the same. They only came in Black I had ginger interior and mine was black but the horn and center pad are Ginger. 

These cars steer so easy I seldom hold the wheel just lay my hand on it unless on curvy road.

Just, uh, “thank you” for this thread. Glad to find out replacements are available and it won’t take a pro to do it.

Alright got the steering wheel dissected and this is what was under all the duct tape. It’s round stock 3/8”. Could the phenolic have been removed if there was any on there from the factory ?

Does anyone have a two spoke steering wheel they might be interested in selling?

3ead8e4f64440924da3b467ea68d810f.jpg
0967033341128242ef3a43a2db905d88.jpg
16936f88c6828d10743bbac620680fdd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back