Caution About Using WD40 to Clean Paint!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Caution about using WD40 to clean paint! I've noticed several threads here mentioning some people are using WD 40 to clean their paint after doing burnouts. 

I had a 98 Mustang GT Convertible and used WD 40 on the door lock cylinder. The WD 40 leaked down onto the paint from the lock cylinder and left a permanent stain on the paint. I tried various paint cleaners, compounds, waxes, etc. but could never get the stain out. Anyone else have this problem?

The 98 was about 8 years old at the time. It could have been caused by the older condition of the clear coat and soaked through it to the green paint. Anyway, I thought I would throw out this experience I had with WD 40. Now I'm very careful about any over spray around paint.

Otherwise, WD 40 is a key "tool" around the house.

WD40 is a silicon-based solvent, which wrecks havoc and birds-eyes in fresh paint. Any decent paint shop will avoid WD40; better ones ask the car owner if he ever used it or Armor-all.

Not sure when Ford went water based color but might be part of it. The clear is not water based. My friend that does restore did a bunch of Ford recall paint jobs. They found that if they primed the car and it sat too long that the color coats did not adhere. He would actually blow the paint of with air then sand and repaint. Today's paint jobs suck wind. Will never last as long as what originally came on our cars. Today's paint is pretty much plastic that UV loves to eat up. It is like photos nothing beats the color and detail of film not even the best digital can copy the colors like film just much easier so we go with easy not best.

WD40 is a silicon-based solvent, which wrecks havoc and birds-eyes in fresh paint.  Any decent paint shop will avoid WD40; better ones ask the car owner if he ever used it or Armor-all.
Had a similar experience with a center console I bought.

Tried painting it and after a few months the paint blistered.

Some member told me it was probably treated with Armor-all

in the past, paint won't stick to it.

mike

I rebuild consoles and I will not buy one that has a milky cloudy look to it or that has ever been painted. ArmorAl is the worst thing you can do for any material.

I scrub with hot water and lots of Dawn several times then wash with lacquer thinner. Hit with scotch brite lightly. 

If you paint did not fish eye when you sprayed not silicone just dirty for paint to peel or not the kind for plastic. 

People think $500- $600 is a lot for a console but go find one, fix it, clean it and finish it and see what you have in it. The repo ones have wrong texture and do not look right.

For some reason I thought WD-40 was fish oil oriented.

I know we use to use it for a release agent in Zinc Die cast tools. There was so much in the air I got chemical Pneumonia from it that was bad. The oil coated my lungs air sacks and it was like I was not breathing for a couple weeks. 

China had a knock off with label that looked the same but different number will have to see if I have a picture of can somewhere. They copy everything.

I know we use to use it for a release agent in Zinc Die cast tools. There was so much in the air I got chemical Pneumonia from it that was bad. The oil coated my lungs air sacks and it was like I was not breathing for a couple weeks. 

China had a knock off with label that looked the same but different number will have to see if I have a picture of can somewhere. They copy everything.
I guess that took care of any wheezing you may have had!   :)

If there was that much oil mist in the air, you should have reported that to the union steward, he would have gotten that safety violation fixed.

If there was that much oil mist in the air, you should have reported that to the union steward, he would have gotten that safety violation fixed.
LOL, no unions why do you need a union. I was the manager of the place, lol. Unions are like our government out date and in need of change. With the labor board rules and OSHA rules you do not need a union. I took two cases to Labor Board and won both. Unions were needed when there were no laws or rules not today.

Back