73 Mach1 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus73Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Sports Roof.
Q code. 351-4V
C6 Auto, 3.25 Rear Axle, AC, Power steering.
Thought I would start a new thread for my 73 mach1 Project. I will need some help in identifying various parts as I purchased the car mostly disassembled. The car was in good straight condition but needed some rust repairs, although not as extensive as I've seen on this site.

My plan is to restore as close as possible to original but also make it a car to drive and enjoy.

The Car;

All Matching Numbers

1973 Mach 1 Sportsroof

Q Code, 351-4V Engine

Colour - Medium Bright Yellow

C6 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission

3.25 Conventional Rear Axle

Fitted with;

Competition Suspension

Convenience Group

Power Steering

Air Conditioning

Deluxe Bumper Group

etc

Marti Report gives all details.

Converted to Right Hand Drive.

Car as purchased

Back from the body shop after rust repairs, sand blasting and epoxy coating.

I rebuilt the engine.

Crankshaft ground, cylinders re bored, new pistons, hydraulic lifters, ARP bolts, stage 1 cam, etc.

Thought I had a problem with a casting hole at the front of the block but after a bit of research it seems this was common in a number of 351's so not an issue.

Engine finished.

Good luck with your project and like others will be glad to help

Remember to take photos, bag & tag everything and try not to get into the "while I'm at it" trap, your wallet will be empty quick smart!

For parts diagrams and shop manuals can recommend www.forelpublishing.com for downloadable manuals but need to pay

Engine bay tidied up and ready for brakes, steering, etc

New front suspension installed, differential was rebuilt, new springs, brakes refurbished, shocks, etc

Remember to take photos, bag & tag everything and try not to get into the "while I'm at it" trap, your wallet will be empty quick smart!

For parts diagrams and shop manuals can recommend www.forelpublishing.com for downloadable manuals but need to pay
Thank you. Nothing was bagged and tagged when I bought the 73. Every nut, bolt and screw, etc was in a big bin. Slowly working out where things go.

David

Thank you. Nothing was bagged and tagged when I bought the 73. Every nut, bolt and screw, etc was in a big bin. Slowly working out where things go.

David
Hi David.  I'm in Mackay, just a few hours North.  Have similar car but H code & still LHD.  Will trade you 'phone numbers & email if I can help.

Good work so far - interesting project.

PKJ

Thanks Fabrice, Too dry here at the moment, most of the country in drought. The dry weather has been great for painting though.

Steering, brakes, suspension, are all done.

20190817_163124.jpg

Looking good so far

Looks like they use Falcon steering, booster etc

Did they use any spacer to bring the idler arm in? Interested to know as mine started with Falcon steering but the geometry was out of whack so went with the RRS power rack

Apparently the idler arm needs to be spaced about 7/8" inwards

Be interesting to hear how it drives once on the road especially for bump steer

Looking good so far

Looks like they use Falcon steering, booster etc

Did they use any spacer to bring the idler arm in? Interested to know as mine started with Falcon steering but the geometry was out of whack so went with the RRS power rack

Apparently the idler arm needs to be spaced about 7/8" inwards

Be interesting to hear how it drives once on the road especially for bump steer
Looks like a spacer has been welded to the chassis. The car was registered and driven for about 15 yrs after the RH conversion before being stripped for restoration. The previous owner said it drove well. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Yes mostly XA, XB Falcon stuff. original steering column. I'm not sure whether the inner tie rods are Mustang. The new Mustang ones seem to have a straighter shaft. I'll post a few pics and someone may be able to help.

Tie rod ends.

These are the inner tie rods. I need to replace these. Apparently they are not Falcon. Are they part of the competition suspension?

Started on a few of the fiddly bits yesterday. Mount holes in the rear spoiler brackets were badly worn, probably from loose bolts. New pins and sleeves in the holes.

Before;

Pins and sleeves;

Finished;

Converted the LH mirror to manual adjustment, same as the RHS. Not much use having a remote control on the passenger side. I used the mirror and mount from another RH unit and made up a bracket to suit.

Tie rod ends.

These are the inner tie rods. I need to replace these. Apparently they are not Falcon. Are they part of the competition suspension?

They look like the Mustang ones which is unusual as they usually use all Falcon steering from what I know

Outers are the same as Mustang from memory

Here's a link with the Mustang inner photo - https://www.cjponyparts.com/inner-tie-rod-end-1971-1973/p/DS791/

Converted the LH mirror to manual adjustment, same as the RHS. Not much use having a remote control on the passenger side. I used the mirror and mount from another RH unit and made up a bracket to suit.

I ended up using XB Falcon mirrors

I still have the Mustang housings without mirror glass if you need spare ones PM me

Some progress over the past week.

Tail shaft, new universal joints, re-assembled and C6 transmission installed.

Shifter re-assembled. New chrome to T bar. Not the best photo due to reflections.

Before

After

Inside of front guards and interior floor and boot (trunk) coated with rubberised underbody sealer.

Front guard.

Floorwell. Colour is uniform just the shadows playing tricks.

Inside of doors and boot lid painted.

Back