AC/heater fan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmach1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351c H code
[url=https://ibb.co/xFgFn66][img]https://i.ibb.co/PDWD2gg/BB339-FB4-2-E55-42-B6-A6-AB-490-B03-BEDC84.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi all

I just installed my heater box and blower housing and when I switch it on, it makes a noise like the old fashioned playing card on spokes...

All new motor  and cage fan. New heater box too

Could it be hitting the heater box gasket?

The cage fan is about 1/4” away from the end of the blower housing opening and that part must “seat” against the heater box somehow. It would spin freely before I installed it so something happened when I put it in....

any suggestions are appreciated

Not a lot there for it to hit. Foam gasket between blower and heater/ac box but that is a few inches from the blower. Does not seem that would make that sound anyway. Cage could be loose. Were there any labels on the new housing? More than likely you are going to have to pull the blower.

Hi all

I just installed my heater box and blower housing and when I switch it on, it makes a noise like the old fashioned playing card on spokes...

The cage fan is about 1/4” away from the end of the blower housing opening and that part must “seat” against the heater box somehow. It would spin freely before I installed it so something happened when I put it in....

Your going to have to pull the blower motor back out and feel around inside the housing for anything that could be touching the fan. It's pretty obvious that there is some sort of material that has come loose and giving you that Cards in the spokes sound.

Does it make the noise at the lowest fan speed? I found the cage will make noise if it is not balanced correctly at medium or high speed. The cage usually has a few counterweights on it to balance it.

Does it make the noise at the lowest fan speed? I found the cage will make noise if it is not balanced correctly at medium or high speed. The cage usually has a few counterweights on it to balance it.
Well it doesn’t move at all on the first two switch positions so I assume the first one is off and the second one may be hitting something and at that lowest speed it just doesn’t move

yeah I am going to pull it and see what’s up. Luckily we had just installed the dash but not the center or cluster so I do have pretty good access

thanks for the advice and I’ll let you all know what we find

Hi all

Your going to have to pull the blower motor back out and feel around inside the housing for anything that could be touching the fan. It's pretty obvious that there is some sort of material that has come loose and giving you that Cards in the spokes sound.
Yep I think that’s the next plan. Thanks!

Not a lot there for it to hit.  Foam gasket between blower and heater/ac box but that is a few inches from the blower.  Does not seem that would make that sound anyway.  Cage could be loose.  Were there any labels on the new housing?  More than likely you are going to have to pull the blower.
Got it. No labels or anything as far as I recall but it definitely requires a removal and look

thanks or the feedback

Bench test it. If it vibrates you can clip on a weight and keep moving around until you get the best run. Like doing a ceiling fan. Also the last one I took apart had a split bearing in the motor. Needed new motor. I have a horrible squealing in one of mine now hate to have to pull. I always bench test and I also always air leak test the heater core have had two bad out of the box. If you did not test core I would pull and test now while dash is out.

Took it all apart including the blower housing and determined the cage fan was too close to the housing opening and was scrubbing it a small amount. I moved it back about 3/16” and now it moves freely

I’ll bench test it as well to make sure it draws air well and doesn’t touch anything

Thanks for all the great advice!!!

Ok

Removed dash and motor housing. The cage was too close to the edge and scrubbed it...we replaced the seal on the heater box with one from a kit because the existing one was twice as thick and made it almost impossible to fit the blower housing in and against the fire wall.

no fan movement in position 1 as that’s the off mode but the other three speeds work great now..

thanks for all the great advice on the forum!!!

Back