Broken Water Bypass Tube Nipple 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach-Me

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1 351C
Hi all, I was trying to remove a broken bypass nibble out of my 351C block. I was using a chisel, trying to split the broken piece when suddenly it fell down into the opening.  I cant see it or feel it now and I'm confused where it went since the opening has a solid bottom.  So now I need to figure out with your help how to locate and remove the broken piece. Any advice will be much appreciated,  tha ks

I swear I did not know a 351 had a by pass. I have 7 of them. Show me pic please.

302 little L shaped hose but I do not know 351???
Sorry I might of called it the wrong thing. It's the nibble coming out of the block that the heater hose attaches to.

I think he's talking about the heater hose connection.

You'll have to get a magnet on a flexible shaft and see if you can fish it out. You might be able to see it if you take the thermostat housing and thermostat off. There's a space to the side that goes into the same area as the heater hose nipple.

Mach-Me,

The tube you need is referred to by Ford as the water bypass tube. The original application for this tube goes back to 1958 when they were used as a bypass tube on the newly released FE engines. The name just stuck and Ford never changed it regardless of the engine application.

The Ford part#  is C5AZ-8555-A  (replaced by B)  and is 5/8" OD  x  2 1/2".  Depending on your parts source you may have to cut the tube length down since it is a multi-application part.  The Ford version is no longer available but since just about everyone has a NAPA store you can try them. Depending on the skill level of the keyboard warrior behind the counter, they can cross the Ford to a NAPA number or see if they stock a 660-1580. 

Good luck with your project.

Mach-Me,

The tube you need is referred to by Ford as the water bypass tube. The original application for this tube goes back to 1958 when they were used as a bypass tube on the newly released FE engines. The name just stuck and Ford never changed it regardless of the engine application.

The Ford part#  is C5AZ-8555-A  (replaced by B)  and is 5/8" OD  x  2 1/2".  Depending on your parts source you may have to cut the tube length down since it is a multi-application part.  The Ford version is no longer available but since just about everyone has a NAPA store you can try them. Depending on the skill level of the keyboard warrior behind the counter, they can cross the Ford to a NAPA number or see if they stock a 660-1580. 

Good luck with your project.
Really good information there..... Thanks for the input!

After a little trial and error,  I finally got the piece of nipple out of block with a small magnet .

Back