Header Fitment Hooker 6915

Hello,

I have a 73 Mach 1 with a 351c, power steering & a C6. I purchased the hooker 6915 long tubes and have a question about the install.

I was able to easily install the passenger side tonight and took a quick stab at the driver side. I was unable to get it into position. Seems to hit the power steering gear box.

The instructions state that I need the car up at least 36” but with my jack stands and garage, I can not get it close to that tall. Does anyone know if the header will fit if I move the power steering gear box or do I literally need to lift the car that high for the right angle?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put mine in and the car was only about 1.5 feet off the ground. However, I lifted the driver side of the engine up and put the header in from underneath. Went in pretty easy that way.

Scott Carpenter

It is a tight fit from my experience. I have the same headers on my car. With stock 4V heads, it was a tight fit but the headers did not hit the gear box. You had the just get exactly the right angle to work them in, but they fit.

When I went to the Aluminum Trick Flow heads, the different in port location was just enough to require me to dimple one of the primary tubes.

1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX, trick flow  heads

Lunati retro roller conversion ("stockish" specs with high lift).

Classic Auto AC

Manual Front Disc conversion

620 lb front and 5-leaf HD rear springs w/Gas-adjust shocks

IMG-2977.jpg

It is a tight fit from my experience. I have the same headers on my car. With stock 4V heads, it was a tight fit but the headers did not hit the gear box. You had the just get exactly the right angle to work them in, but they fit.

When I went to the Aluminum Trick Flow heads, the different in port location was just enough to require me to dimple one of the primary tubes.

I think the angle is my problem. How high did you have the car?

Sorry, just now saw the question. I do have a lift, so it was off the floor quite a bit. Glad you got it installed.

1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX, trick flow  heads

Lunati retro roller conversion ("stockish" specs with high lift).

Classic Auto AC

Manual Front Disc conversion

620 lb front and 5-leaf HD rear springs w/Gas-adjust shocks

IMG-2977.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What do you all have for H pipes? Anything off the shelf bolt up to these headers?

No, you need a custom bent h-pipe

Here's how I got the long ones back out and the short ones in...

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-hooker-headers-super-comp-to-comp-swap?highlight=hooker

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't jack the motor up, you have to jack the whole car up about 3 feet on the front.  An extra set of hands is helpful as well.

73' Convertible

351C 2V

3-speed auto FMX

I jacked up the car and then put the car on stands and then jacked the engine up about 2 inches and had to turn the front wheel to get the header to fit.

What do you all have for H pipes? Anything off the shelf bolt up to these headers?

If you're OK with an X-Pipe vs. an H-Pipe, Pypes makes a nice set-up.  I have a Pypes X-Pipe [complete] system on my '71.  I only had to put about 7 degrees bend into the collector/lead pipe to match up to the Hookers. 

attachment.php?aid=29501

attachment.php?aid=29507

Here's a link to the Pypes site for more information: https://pypesexhaust.com/ag-134874.112395.116152-1971-ford-mustang.html

Hope this helps!

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

If you're OK with an X-Pipe vs. an H-Pipe, Pypes makes a nice set-up.  I have a Pypes X-Pipe [complete] system on my '71.  I only had to put about 7 degrees bend into the collector/lead pipe to match up to the Hookers. 

attachment.php?aid=29501

attachment.php?aid=29507

Here's a link to the Pypes site for more information: https://pypesexhaust.com/ag-134874.112395.116152-1971-ford-mustang.html

Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thank you very much!