Transmission won't shift out of park after installing headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aasukisuki

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Converible
Hey everyone,

I had an exhaust leak on my stock manifolds, so decided to install headers.  I installed the patriot clipster headers and now the transmission will not shift out of park.  I had to cut off the front of the passenger side exhaust to get the header to fit, but I left the drivers side as it didn't seem to interfere with getting the header installed.

After finding out that the car won't move out of park, I noticed that there is some sort of bar attached to a bracket on drivers side firewall that is touching the coupling bracket on the header collector.  Is this bar a part of the shifting linkage, and it causing the car to be stuck in park?  If so, can I modify / replace / relocate that or am I going to have to remove these headers?

Can you send picture? Also what trains and engine. Do you have a column shifter? The only thing coming down to transmission on driver side is the kickdown rod from the carburetor and shift rod on the column reverse lockout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you send picture?  Also what trains and engine.  Do you have a column shifter?  The only thing coming down to transmission on driver side is the kickdown rod from the carburetor and shift rod on column shifter.
Sorry, I should have included that.  It's a 302 and I believe the C4 transmission.  Here's a photo of what I was trying to describe

It sounds like the reverse lockout rod is interfering with the header.  That rod connects to the shift lever on the left(drivers side) of the transmission and snakes up the firewall to the steering column.  It is designed to insure that you have the car in park when the key is removed and that it cannot be pulled out of park util the key is in and turned to the on position.

I would be surprised that a header for our cars what not designed to account for this, but that is the most logical answer for your problem.

Options:

1) See where the rod is hitting the header?  Can the header collector be rotated to allow clearance?  Is it hitting on the collector?  Have someone try to move the shifter with the key rotated to the on position so you can watch this rod move.

2)  See if the header collector or collector bolts are hitting the shift lever on the side of the tranny.  Once again see if the collector can be rotated for suitable clearance.

3) Modify(bend/dent) the header to clear any interference.

4) Return the headers.  Headers have always been known for leaking.  I am surprised that headers would be easier to seal than exhaust manifolds.

5) If you find the interference with the rod  try taking the rod off and taking it to an exhaust shop to have them make it work.

kcmash

Yep.  Reverse lockout rod interference.

Mark the interference area, take the header off and make a dent across the interference area.  Go about 1/4 inch deep.  You should be good then.

Yep.  Reverse lockout rod interference.

Mark the interference area, take the header off and make a dent across the interference area.  Go about 1/4 inch deep.  You should be good then.
Thanks guys, you were 100% right.  I've disconnected the rod for now and am going to give the guy who installed the exhaust from the manifolds back a call tomorrow.  I think he should be able to modify the bar while it's in getting the pipes connected.  Thanks for the help

Back