Dropped the Facebook page.

Stanglover

Question

I decided to drop the 7173Mustangs.com Facebook page, at least for the time being. I much prefer our website for better, more reliable information. I found there was way too much "general chit-chat" for my liking on Facebook. 

Besides, I'm not much for social media anyway and only use it for a couple of closed groups and family. Even then, I have no control on who reposts what.

I know for sure many of the regulars on here are also on Facebook, but having to use their real names rather than user names as we do here. Using just a 'first name' on the Forum, as I do, is okay as far as I'm concerned. I'm also pretty sure there are many on Facebook do not use the Forum, preferring social media for their "information".

Basically, I don't trust Facebook anymore and would rather not use it at all. 

Sorry for the rant,

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

19 answers to this question

Agreed. I closed my facebook account in 2007 ish

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I have never been on Facebook or any other social media platform other than these forums. I enjoy the forums here and doubt I will ever be on Facebook.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

I don't get much in the way of useful info from the facebook page. I spend more time trying to help others and do my best to provide accurate info to those who need it on the page. 

When I want reliable info, I come to this site and all of you.

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

I can relate, but even though I've been inclined so, so many times to say "You should check the forum...", there's still a few new-to-it enthusiasts that deserve a welcome. And a few cars appear I don't see elsewhere, and the occasional part or two of interest.

But as a resource? Forums, hands down.

My wife and I tried Facebook for a while around 2008, but only stayed on it for a few months, too many concerns about it. Neither of our sons are on it, one is a programmer, the other also involved in computers.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I can relate, but even though I've been inclined so, so many times to say "You should check the forum...", there's still a few new-to-it enthusiasts that deserve a welcome.  And a few cars appear I don't see elsewhere, and the occasional part or two of interest.

But as a resource?  Forums, hands down.

Yes, I agree with the new-to-it people should be given a welcome, but then directed to the Forum. In today's "age" many just head straight for the social media sites, not thinking or knowing of other, better alternatives. I'm sure those amongst us who do use both sites, will offer an appropriate welcome to the new commers.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I can relate, but even though I've been inclined so, so many times to say "You should check the forum...", there's still a few new-to-it enthusiasts that deserve a welcome.  And a few cars appear I don't see elsewhere, and the occasional part or two of interest.

But as a resource?  Forums, hands down.

Yes, I agree with the new-to-it people should be given a welcome, but then directed to the Forum. In today's "age" many just head straight for the social media sites, not thinking or knowing of other, better alternatives. I'm sure those amongst us who do use both sites, will offer an appropriate welcome to the new commers.

Geoff.

Agreed!

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

Take it from a data and information security professional ... Facebook + quite a lot of other social media is plain "spyware"... I know you're not going to like to hear it..those who have thrown their entire family lives into it... but it is scripted to extract your identity... there are ways of doing "reverse gear"... though it's long and complicated.

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

Take it from a data and information security professional ... Facebook + quite a lot of other social media is plain "spyware"... I know you're not going to like to hear it..those who have thrown their entire family lives into it... but it is scripted to extract your identity... there are ways of doing "reverse gear"... though it's long and complicated.

The Aadhaar Effect.... Authentication vs. Identification.

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

Wow! looks like this started quite a conversation. Interesting comments and pretty much all agree social media is a potentially risky place to be. I have friends who put just about everything they do on Facebook, Instagram etc. etc. Why? Who cares what 'so-and-so' had for breakfast!! Maybe time to cut some "Friends" off.

But even on here, there are risks. We are world wide and even by posting our basic location, it occurred to me that it wouldn't be too hard for "someone less honest" to find us.... and our cars. However, I think those risks are minimal compared to the open media.

Be careful what we post, or it may come back to bite us!

Geoff.

Geoff.

I have a facebook account, get on it maybe once a month for about 2 - 3 minutes but have not posted anything in probably over a year. Never was one to post to social media, the only reason I created the account was so that I could message back and forth with my wife and kids the last time I was in Afghanistan. I would log in, see if their user names had the green icon showing they were online, and I would message them to let them know I was still alive. Other than that, I think too many people put to much personal business on there and don't need to read about the drama. I am on LinkedIn for the professional discussions but even that is getting bad with personnel drama and the political crap that everyone wants to post. Facebook, other social media and now LinkedIn are a few things in life that I can definitely do without and not miss at all.

Tom

I have a facebook account, get on it maybe once a month for about 2 - 3 minutes but have not posted anything in probably over a year. Never was one to post to social media, the only reason I created the account was so that I could message back and forth with my wife and kids the last time I was in Afghanistan. I would log in, see if their user names had the green icon showing they were online, and I would message them to let them know I was still alive. Other than that, I think too many people put to much personal business on there and don't need to read about the drama. I am on LinkedIn for the professional discussions but even that is getting bad with personnel drama and the political crap that everyone wants to post. Facebook, other social media and now LinkedIn are a few things in life that I can definitely do without and not miss at all. 

Tom

Used as it was (or wasn't) intended, social media has it's uses as Tom describes. Beyond that, not so much. It's pathetic to see just about every teenager (or younger, or older) walking around with their damn phone stuck in their faces, texting or whatever. Whatever happened to "TALKING" to each other?

Okay, now I'm ranting again.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Be careful what we post, or it may come back to bite us!

Geoff.

That's what we try to advise everyone. Be real cautious 

we call identity the CUPP 

Commercial identity 

Utility  

Professional 

Personal

The summation of which attaches to value. YOUR value. Whether that be your information being shared to feed third party partners/adverts; or feeding the illicit behavior of those wishing to commit fraud. Either way you and your family's hard earned $$$s , even your home (there are cases) can be put at risk.

sig2.jpg

Enjoy's searching out 71-73 history

I frequent the Facebook 71-3 account from time to time. No issues. Different perspectives there and I am always willing to learn something new about these car’s...

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

I frequent the Facebook 71-3 account from time to time. No issues. Different perspectives there and I am always willing to learn something new about these car’s...

There is for sure a different perspective and without doubt, there are some very interesting posts which I have indeed responded to, adding what I can from my mega knowledge. 

It comes down to personal choice. My choice was to remove myself from the site. Not because I think it's bad, but because I'm just not into the "Social Media" thing.

I just prefer the knowledge base on THIS Forum.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Social media does present a whole new dimension to topics such as 71-73 Mustangs BUT...as we all know, social media is also a dis-organized mosh pot of drama and despair!  (At least it can be and usually is...)

1. There seems to be a ton of misinformation posted on Facebook groups

2. People tend to be super rude oi FB groups

3. Everyone wants to be an admin so everyone decides to start a group...pretty soon there are dozens of groups on the same topic which you either have to chose the best one or join multiple groups just to find the right (or correct) info you need.  We used to be the first and only 71-73 group on Facebook bu now there are probably;y 6-12 groups out there! 

4. Group notifications from FB groups are nice but you will find traditional forums to be better moderated and much easier to navigate and find archived info.

5. With all that said, it is obvious to see that FB groups are strangling traditional forums because of the number of people using them and because they are easier and quicker to join than a traditional forum.

We still maintain the original FB group as well as a small Instagram presence but mainly just to help promote the main forum!  Ever since FB groups became popular, our VIP member donations have dropped to almost zero!

spacer.png

Social media does present a whole new dimension to topics such as 71-73 Mustangs BUT...as we all know, social media is also a dis-organized mosh pot of drama and despair!  (At least it can be and usually is...)

1. There seems to be a ton of misinformation posted on Facebook groups

2. People tend to be super rude oi FB groups

3. Everyone wants to be an admin so everyone decides to start a group...pretty soon there are dozens of groups on the same topic which you either have to chose the best one or join multiple groups just to find the right (or correct) info you need.  We used to be the first and only 71-73 group on Facebook bu now there are probably;y 6-12 groups out there! 

4. Group notifications from FB groups are nice but you will find traditional forums to be better moderated and much easier to navigate and find archived info.

5. With all that said, it is obvious to see that FB groups are strangling traditional forums because of the number of people using them and because they are easier and quicker to join than a traditional forum.

We still maintain the original FB group as well as a small Instagram presence but mainly just to help promote the main forum!  Ever since FB groups became popular, our VIP member donations have dropped to almost zero!

I agree with what you're saying. I just feel that the FB 'group' is missing the point of the Forum and the wealth of information within it. May be okay for a quick Q&A, but not for the detailed stuff. 

Unfortunately, many are becoming (have become) obsessed with Social Media. It has become the be-all and end-all for everything and that's a real shame!

Geoff.

Geoff.

This is what was envisioned as ideal years ago. Gee, what if the masses of people in the world could react to events in real-time? Look at where it brought us. Is society any better overall? Most of the constant political and other fallout wouldn't be able to occur without social media. However on the other hand it can be good for a lost child and things of that nature- to spread the word quickly. Well it's here to stay regardless. I don't think there's any way to put the genie back in the bottle.

This is were I'm at with it...I've never had a FB account. I have requested to anyone at a function that may be taking pictures that might get posted to social media to NOT tag me. I even avoid getting my pic taken and get annoyed by other people (strangers) taking pics and selfies without regard for those in the background. I figure since FB makes so much money off personal info of their users, that with metadata and facial recog software and other available data that they could build a data file on me even though I am not a user.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if FB has net trolling algorythms to find people like me thru posts like this. If I had their goals and motivations, I would.

Or maybe I just gave them the idea.

Sorry, about that.