Power Boost?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csa1861

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Medium Bright Yellow Mach 1. 351C 2v. Bought new by my grandfather in 1973. Gonna pass it along to my daughter one day.
I know this has been addressed and I have been reading up on it, but the more I read, the more confused I get. Here's the deal. I am inheriting my grandfathers Mach 1 351 2V that he bought new in '73. It is completely bone stock except for Flowmasters he had installed before he passed. I want to wake the engine up a little but without making any mods that would prevent me from returning to stock in the future. I'm shooting for around 300 HP if possible. Is an intake and 4bbl along with a mild cam worth investigating? Open to suggestions. I'm not very well versed in this, so I'm trying to learn. Just want to wake it up a bit on a average budget.

Welcome from Iowa. You can get a decent increase in power with a mild cam, 4bbl intake, carb, and I would add headers as well. The more you pump into the engine the more you need to be able to pump out. Another huge factor in that "seat of pants" feeling is the rear gear ratio. What rear gears are you running now. What trans is in the car?

Welcome from Iowa. You can get a decent increase in power with a mild cam, 4bbl intake, carb, and I would add headers as well. The more you pump into the engine the more you need to be able to pump out. Another huge factor in that "seat of pants" feeling is the rear gear ratio. What rear gears are you running now. What trans is in the car?
Sorry, not sure of the gear ratio, but it seems to be more for highway that street racing. lol. The trans is an auto 3 speed I believe. Thanks for the reply. Sorry I am not very knowledgeable, but that's why I'm here.

There should be a tag on the drivers door. This will tell you what trans, Likely an FMX being a 351c from 1973 as well as the rear gear ratio interior and exterior color, etc. If you post a pic we can certainly help decode that info for you or you can go the mustang data tab at the top and click on 73 mustang info as well.

Thanks for the tips. I'll get a pic of the tag. I'm in southern middle TN between Nashville and Chattanooga.

If I were going to do a little power boosting on a 2 barrel engine, I'd use the parts below.

Summit 600 CFM vacuum secondary carburetor - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs/overview/

Edelbrock Performer intake - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2750/overview/make/ford

Hooker Cometitiion headers - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6921hkr

Lunati 351CJ cam - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10321004
I like this combo for this application as well. Especially since the owner mentioned highway gears (read as prob a 2.75 open) this cam should certainly help with the low end. Maybe add a Pertronix II for an easy upgrade to the ignition as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also on a journey to boost performance. I already run a 4v carb, so my first step is to install a 3.73 posi. that work should be finished next week. I will see how the new gear feels. if I feel fast enough, I may be done. But, I may have a lifter issue, which means opening the engine. when that happens, I may go with new heads and intake, but that is a slippery slope....when a new top-end turns into a bottom end rebuild, then you start thinking that a crate motor is cheaper.....so for me, its 1 step at a time.

Great suggestions! I really appreciate the help. Going to look into the parts combo suggested by Hemikiller.

I'm just north of Nashville in Madison.  Will be heading to Tullahoma to buy cleveland short block Saturday.  If you get in over your head give me a shout.
Thanks! The car is actually in Tullahoma and Bright yellow like yours. I may pick you brain sometime. Just curious, but what wheel/tire sizes are on your car?

17 x9 up front 17x11 in back

255-45-17 up front

325-45-17 M&H Drag radial in the rear at this time

I also have an engine build I'll be starting sometime in the next month or so-I have all parts but gaskets and will be building indoors (Cause I like heat in the winter and air in the summer.) If you want to come hang out while I assemble, I suppose you might learn some of what is involved.

And if the weather is right we can smoke some ribs!

Last edited by a moderator:
17 x9 up front 17x11 in back

255-45-17 up front

325-45-17 M&H Drag radial in the rear at this time

I also have an engine build I'll be starting sometime in the next month or so-I have all parts but gaskets and will be building indoors (Cause I like heat in the winter and air in the summer.)  If you want to come hang out while I assemble, I suppose you might learn some of what is involved.

And if the weather is right we can smoke some ribs!
That's an offer I may not be able to refuse! You're right on the traffic.

Back