351w Points distributor swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

48Ford

Reaction score
My Car
72 coupe 73 fastback
I have a 80s 351W I'm swapping into 73. It still has the electronic distributor in it. I was wondering since I have 4 302 distributors laying around, if I could swap in the points system out of a 302 into the electronic distributor that's in the 351w so I dont have to buy a whole new distributor. The

If the 351W has a Duraspark distributor with the blue grommet Duraspark box, just stick with that and rewire accordingly.  No need to mess with finicky points anymore - plus, it still looks pretty stock (if you 'hide' the Duraspark box on the backside of the passenger side shock tower... where I put mine).  I'm running this set-up with my 351C and it's a beast.

durasparkfinal-692x450.jpg

Go here to learn more:  https://www.mustangsteve.com/conversion.html

I agree with Eric, why would you want to go back to points? The DuraSpark ignition is a very good one, easy to maintain and parts readily available without breaking the bank. In fact, it's what MSD based their box on. It also has the nice feature of spark retard when cranking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back