Grabber Lime Restoration Update - Quarter Window - Power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 429 CJs: Grabber Lime, Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic (2), Pewter, Red Convertible 1972: Sprints (3), 1973: Pink Convertible (2)
Grabber Lime Restoration Update - Quarter Windows - Power.

Now that summer is over, ice cream season is over for my wife and I and I can get back to working on the Grabber Lime 429 Mach 1.    This is just a quick update on the quarter windows that are power.    Got the power window motors cleaned and installed.   The nice part is that they were still working when I took them out.   The tracks are cleaned and greased and the stationary brackets that they are attached to were beadblasted and painted (they were rusty).   Wiring is in good shape and next steps are put new rollers on the glass brackets along with new weatherstrips and install those next. 

On a side note, if anyone is putting new speakers in their front doors and want the original speaker look, you can take your original covers off your original speakers and separate the metal mesh from the thick cardboard that is attached to the speaker.  When you install aftermarket speakers, most are the thickness of the cardboard, so you just have to add the mesh cover to them (otherwise they are too thick if you keep the old cardboard on them).  Attached is a picture.  

Mike,

I am struggling with Door speakers now.  I have 2 originals, one with the metal cover and one without.  Finding an aftermarket speaker to fit that 3x9 or whatever size the doors took is my impossible task.

Mine will not be the concourse level of yours, and I plan to drive it with the radio on, so I am looking for decent sound quality.  Where did you find your speaker parts?  Do you have modern cones and speaker drivers, or are they the 71 style paper cones.  Please share your sources if you don't mind.

All a pleasure to see your handywork.

kcmash

Mike,

I am struggling with Door speakers now.  I have 2 originals, one with the metal cover and one without.  Finding an aftermarket speaker to fit that 3x9 or whatever size the doors took is my impossible task.

Mine will not be the concourse level of yours, and I plan to drive it with the radio on, so I am looking for decent sound quality.  Where did you find your speaker parts?  Do you have modern cones and speaker drivers, or are they the 71 style paper cones.  Please share your sources if you don't mind.

kcmash
Do a google search there are shops that recone original speakers so you do not have to look for ones that fit. The pics are of NOS originals and show the box with part number. If you have PW has a special harness with both PW and door speakers in one harness. Very difficult to locate.

Mike,

kcmash
Do a google search there are shops that recone original speakers so you do not have to look for ones that fit. The pics are of NOS originals and show the box with part number. If you have PW has a special harness with both PW and door speakers in one harness. Very difficult to locate.

Well I have the 71 ps and speaker harness loaded.  I will see about redone services. 

Kcmash

Mike,

kcmash
I put in Ken Harrison Speakers in the door because I wanted good sound and they fit the opening perfect with the existing attaching points.

Awesome work as usual!

As my 71 also has the PW front and back, I'll be doing similar on mine at some point.

Any detail of importance I should really pay attention to during removal (something that breaks easy)? Also how did you power them during de-re- assembly? As I will need power them with a battery, are the wire combos up /down easy doable at connector or would it be a good idea to find a spare connector to connect to a portable power source? As the parts for these are not growing on trees around here, I'd very much love to avoid to fry a motor or damage something.

Awesome work as usual!

As my 71 also has the PW front and back, I'll be doing similar on mine at some point.

Any detail of importance I should really pay attention to during removal (something that breaks easy)? Also how did you power them during de-re- assembly? As I will need power them with a battery, are the wire combos up /down easy doable at connector or would it be a good idea to find a spare connector to connect to a portable power source? As the parts for these are not growing on trees around here, I'd very much love to avoid to fry a motor or damage something.
Nothing that can really brake on these taking them in and out.   I did make a connector so I can attach it to a battery so i could move it up and down as you will need to do that to align the glass before you put your interior together.  They only thing you need to make sure you don't lose is the cage nuts on the floor that the bracket attaches to.  Those just sit in there and could come out when taking your bracket it out.  If you lose any, just let me know and I will send some.

thx for the tips.

I have no idea of what I'll find there as the interior is still in the car. Tho I've seen all 4 windows operating decades ago when my friend was the owner and nothing was done on these (just like for the rest). So all should be there.

For the connector, its a 3 wires one? shared ground and + wire for up and another one for - ?

Back