• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Declas, stripes, hood template for painting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asking the same thing and heard people say Phoenix Graphics is the best quality out there.

https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/

I am going to give my NOS argent a try when I get around to that.

kcmash

Looks like a split - I checked and graphics express has better pricing overall but phoenix graphix has more decals and options. Graphics express Ford product line is license by Ford.

I sure either way you go you will be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure Not to use the template layout measurements from the Mustang Monthly article. It’s wrong and they are a big reason so many guys get their hoods painted incorrectly. They state that the pattern should be 3” back from the leading edge of the hood when it should be 2”. It then throws the whole pattern off. Check out the threads I have on here as well as others. I can post some pics if you need me to.

Finishing up my 71 429 SCJ and am looking for good quality decals, side stripes, and hood paint template in argent. Which company sells these and a decent price?
I have an original paint hood on one of my 429 cars if you want the measurements off of that.  

One of our Canadian members posted this off his pastel blue 429

attachment.php

Finishing up my 71 429 SCJ and am looking for good quality decals, side stripes, and hood paint template in argent. Which company sells these and a decent price?
I have an original paint hood on one of my 429 cars if you want the measurements off of that.  

OK - Need to try to get this straight. My car is in the shop getting ready to be painted. The 2" back is a no brainer. My question is from the scopes to the cowl. Is this the same distance from the edge of the hood making a straight line back or does it flare out a little. I looked at all the pictures and it is different on some of them. David's looks almost straight within a 1/16" while the picture of the one from Canada appears to be over 1/2".

With the template 2” back from the leading edge of the hood trim and centered, the sides should fall into the correct place. The factory workers only had a few minutes to lay the patterns out, so many of the placements are a bit different from each other. Unless you are doing a concourse restoration, just follow the guidelines mentioned here. But if you are doing a concourse then don’t make it perfect, they sure weren’t from the factory.

I just told my painter to be sure that by the hood openings the pattern should be about 6” from the outside of the stripe to edge of hood and 5 1/2” at the back of the hood. I am really happy with the way it turned out. 

Not sure if you checked out the info I posted in a thread called hood blackout. I just had my hood painted earlier this year and I had to tell my painter what to do for placement. I didn’t do a concourse restoration so I just wanted it to be centered side to side. 

I also had to point out to him about the bottom blackout inside the door jambs. 71 is different from 72-73. 71 has body color between the sill and the blackout whereas 72-73 doesn’t. I think I have that info in that thread too. If you need pics let me know.

Back