new front spoiler does not fit...either my car got wider or

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
I ordered a front spoiler from CJ Pony parts.  I finally got some extra hands and was going to install it today.  after trying to hold it in place based on pictures I've found on this site, the spoiler is just not wide enough to fit into place.  if I fit 1 side, its not even close on the other. the new spoiler measures 64.25" from the outside edges. i measured by laying it flat on the ground.  does anyone know if this is right? because either the part os too small, or my car got wider.  this is the part I bought https://www.cjponyparts.com/front-spoiler-abs-plastic-black-1971-1973/p/FS5B/

in this pic I compare the spoiler sold by CJ Pony parts( the one I bought) for 71-73 mustangs to the part sold by Scott Drake. they are obviously quite a bit different

Last edited by a moderator:
Which picture is yours? The bottom picture appears to be the correct one.

I would contact CJ, their supplier may have messed up by putting an incorrect spoiler in the correct box.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks correct based on the picture you sent. Did you go to CJPony's site and check their install directions along with the photo's they have. If it is not being placed in the right orientation it will not fit.

in fact I printed pics from a thread on this site that showed the correct orientation. I had 3 guys, myself + 2 mechanics trying to fit the piece in place. after getting 1 side lined up, it was short a couple of inches on the other side. I can see however that heating it up might solve the problem. the issue seems to be the angle of the returns on both ends

Be careful with the heat gun. You can burn that up pretty quick. Not sure what the weather forecast is in your area but I find that leaving an item like this sitting in the sun for an extended period of time helps a lot.

Mine looks like the bottom pic as well. This is a different type of measurement, but I came up with 59" across the front lip of the spoiler, and then 14" for each side on the outer lip. Decades ago I always assumed the front spoiler was part of the Mach 1 package, but then learned it was only factory-installed on the Boss 351 cars. Can you imagine how many of these were installed on '71 to '73 Mustangs over the years by dealers, owners, etc.?

I do not think that the factory installed the boss spoilers either. I think the Dealer had to install it. 

I just put a NOS Ford one on my 73 Mach 1 I did not measure it but I think I took some pics. I go to pick up the car on Saturday and bring it back home I can get some pics then Ford actually called it an "Air Foil" not a spoiler. The one I took off was also NOS and it had just broke half into without being hit. It is ABS plastic like grill, console and interior plastic parts. 

chemical symbol for aluminium

Back