429CJ NOS block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I now know where to find a spare block if I ever need one. lol Although I have a CJ rather than SCJ. At that price I'd imagine it will be available for quite some time. I'll use the $4200 for something else for now...

Sweet looking piece... My original Block had been rebuilt at least twice before I got it. It was in rough shape. One of the cylinders had a deep scar that no bore would correct. it was already .40 thou over. So, one cylinder was going to need a sleeve, and the other’s further bored out beyond the already .40 thou. I decided to sleeve them all back to factory spec’s... All in the name of maintaining #’s matching... $4200 seem’s a little high at first glance, but, if this is a near virgin block, it is worth some coin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet looking piece... My original Block had been rebuilt at least twice before I got it. It was in rough shape. One of the cylinders had a deep scar that no bore would correct. it was already .40 thou over. So, one cylinder was going to need a sleeve, and the other’s further bored out beyond the already .40 thou. I decided to sleeve them all back to factory spec’s... All in the name of maintaining #’s matching... $4200 seem’s a little high at first glance, but, if this is a near virgin block, it is worth some coin...
I deal primarily with the FE engine family. When it came time to price this block I thought about what an NOS 427 block might be worth. 4K would be on the low side for one of those provided it checked out well. Good sonic, no extreme core shift.

Factoring in the low production of 429 SCJs delivered for the ‘71 model year would seem to make this block as valuable. However, I don’t know if lots of these were released via dealers for service replacement.  

How many have have you seen or heard of?

JB p

I was talking with Lee Holman of Holman & Moody. He said when his dad got tired of seeing all the 427 side oiler blocks sitting in the warehouse he sold them for $300 each. Lee said he usually pays $3,000 for a NOS 427 side oiler when builds a car for someone now.

I have a cousin that I cannot find lost all contact. He had three of the NOS side oilers sitting in his basement. 

As old timers die off more and more hoards will open up for sure. I have a NOS 1950 Ford transmission still in the Ford grate. 

Lots of NOS out there but use hoarders bought stuff just in case we needed it or just in case we got that car. 

It will be a market driven sell. If date code matches something someone needs then they would go for it. You could stamp the partial VIN # in. Are the service blocks coded any different?

Back