Headlight Switch AGAIN

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi Guys and Girls, 

I've owned my 71 Convertible for 32 years and during that time replaced the headlight switch at least 4 times! The recent switch I installed is less than 2 years old and during a night time drive my headlights started to go off and on. Keep buying these switches can't be the solution, can it?

You don't have halogen headlights, by any chance, do you? If so, they draw more current than the standard headlights and will cause your symptoms. If you have added sportslamps to your convertible, that will also cause more current draw but should be within specs for the headlight switch.

Hi Guys and Girls, 

I've owned my 71 Convertible for 32 years and during that time replaced the headlight switch at least 4 times! The recent switch I installed is less than 2 years old and during a night time drive my headlights started to go off and on. Keep buying these switches can't be the solution, can it?
Use relays to power the headlights. This will take the electrical load of the switch.

You don't have halogen headlights, by any chance, do you?  If so, they draw more current than the standard headlights and will cause your symptoms.  If you have added sportslamps to your convertible, that will also cause more current draw but should be within specs for the headlight switch.
I do have Halogen headlights and have Sports Lamps but they been on the car since I've owned it!

Hi Guys and Girls, 

Use relays to power the headlights. This will take the electrical load of the switch.
I'll look into that, thanks. But they really have to be concealed!

You probably didn't have halogen headlights for the past 32 years. If the problem developed recently and after procuring halogens, it is more likely that your wiring is now experiencing a bit more corrosion, which causes higher resistance and higher current, tripping the headlight circuit breaker. Halogens are extremely marginal for use with the existing headlight switch.

@Fabrice, that looks like a lot of extra wiring that can't be hidden, thanks though!

@turtle5353, where did you get them and what do they look like? Thanks!

@midlife, the car had Halogen H4 since 1980 when the car was imported from Great Britain to Germany (H4 is required in Germany) Thanks! By the way you refurbished my complete harness about one year ago!

@Fabrice, that looks like a lot of extra wiring that can't be hidden, thanks though!

@turtle5353, where did you get them and what do they look like? Thanks!

@midlife, the car had Halogen H4 since 1980 when the car was imported from Great Britain to Germany (H4 is required in Germany) Thanks! By the way you refurbished my complete harness about one year ago!
I got the led headlights from eBay. Under $80. Really nice! They have a white halo driving light around it too and they can be wired to your turn signals to light up. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-7inch-Round-LED-Headlight-With-Halo-Angle-Eyes-For-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ/192621207975

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a relay pack very similar to the one linked above, and a set of Cibie H4 housings with halogen bulbs. Lights have never been better and no more issues with the CB in the switch popping.

@NOT a T5

my 73 doesn't really need them as I have led headlights. Its simply safer.

As about hiding, I have a cover, so no prob on that side. But its not as big as you think. as it replaces one of the existing H4 connector, the other acting as the switch,

One thing I was doing before the cover, was to place an aluminium tube under the top radiator support, the wires going thru it. No hanging, always clean and dry and invisible.

@73pony

H4 fittings are standard on many european cars for decades. This is just one of the many variation you can find around aside making one yourself (which I did as well for my extra electric fan). The plus of this one is that all is nicely plug&play, waterproof and this asian wonder was like 6 or 8 dollars... A single relay cost about the same here in dutch shops.

Back