First Oil Change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi Folks,

After putting on 500 miles on my rebuilt engine I decided to change the break in oil. I replaced the Royal Purple oil with Brad Penn "The Green Oil" 10 W 40 (Engine Builder's recommendation). I have a magnet built in in the oil pan drain bolt and I found some shavings on it! Should I be concerned about this or is this normal? Thanks for any input!

If they are truly shavings, and not just iron dust, I would be concerned. Shavings would not be good, either something scraping or improperly prepared (meaning not thoroughly cleaning the block after machine work) block. If the block wasn't well cleaned I would question the quality of the build.

I would expect some iron dust at the first oil change, part of the break-in process.

I just had my engine rebuilt and changed my oil at the 500 mile break in. Which by the way was really broken in on the engine stand in the first 30 minute start up. But anyway, when I changed mine I had no metal shavings at all and if I did I would be very concerned. Ya, it was a bit dirty but normal like I expected.

That seems like a lot to me based on the pic. Might be a good idea to cut open the filter and see what you find in the filter and share that info with the engine builder.

Definitely cut open the oil filter and take a look. I have a magnetic oil plug also, and after my rebuild i did not have nearly that much stuff on the plug. As said above, could just been a poor cleaning of the block prior to assembly.

Back