What trim level is this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must not pay enough attention but what trim level is on this mustang?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/mustang/2131978.html
The side stripes and lower panel blackout are part of the Exterior Decor group or an option on the Mach 1 package in 71 & 72. The horizontal side fender/door guards (called Body Side molding) was part of the protection group. To my knowledge, you could not get both options on the car from the factory. It possible the dealer installed or the previous owner it. I do know the factory moldings were not screwed on.

The Marti Report does not list the protection group as a factory option.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rear lower valance has NO cut outs for dual exhaust, so not an 05 valance has been put on. So what else is wrong? Oh! I see another. It has a 71 only pop open gas cap!

Not a bad starting place, but a bit high on price for an H code imo.

The protection strip is clearly added on and non-factory. The factory installation was lower on the body line, not at the peak. The dealerships added stuff on like this all the time, just like the ripoffs they sell today - VIN etched glass, Scotchguarded upholstery and paint sealants.

Regardless, this car was clearly well taken care of and a great example of the way these cars looked when they were daily drivers. Dealer installed A/C, alarm switch in the driver's quarter, and some sort of switch where the rear defrost unit would be. Underside looks to have a very liberal shot of undercoating, probably more dealer applied goodies.

The nice thing is this car is how original it is. he trunk is a great example of how it's supposed to look, with a few minor touchups evident. The engine compartment looks untouched. I'm guessing the hood and it's blackout were repainted at some point, I think I can see overspray on the hood bumpers. They did a much better job than 99% of the hoods I see out there.

The rear lower valance has NO cut outs for dual exhaust, so not an 05 valance has been put on.
F & H code Mach 1s didn't have dual exhaust, only the Q-code in '72, so no cutouts in the valance. Duals have been added, which is pretty obvious by the pics

So what else is wrong? Oh! I see another. It has a 71 only pop open gas cap!
It's a very early '72, built on 8/18, so that cap could very well be original. It also doesn't have the seat belt minder in the passenger dash yet, since that wasn't available 'til the end of '71.

Not a bad starting place, but a bit high on price for an H code imo.
Agreed, a lot of money for the car.

I bought this Mustang in 1975. I believe the protection strip on it was original when I bought the car. It would make sense for it to be on (actually it was just a hair below the peak) for protection. I added the lower stripe and wheels back then.

Back