Odd Color Combos

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 M code Mach 1, 4 speed, Grabber Blue.
Just for kicks, I was looking at outliers in Kevin Marti's Mustang by the Numbers book.  Specifically for odd color combos.

For example, there were 12 people in 1971 who ordered Black with a Blue interior.  One of those in Boss Decor Cloth.  Bold!

There were 2 people who ordered a 71 Mustang in Bright Red with a Green interior.  Both were fastbacks and 1 was the Mach 1 decor group.  Do you think they were fans of Christmas?

I love Grabber Blue, the color of my Mach 1.  But the one person who bought a 71 fastback in Grabber Blue with a red interior?

I wonder if any of these folks took delivery of the car and instantly regretted their decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a discussion about 10~12 years ago about a yellow 71 or 72 Mach 1, which was factory with either a vermillion or dark green interior. Can't remember if it was on the VMF or Mustangsandmore. I'm leaning toward it being a 71 429 car. Have to do some google searches to see if I can dig up the thread.

At least there was a choice for the interior back in the classic era. Now you can get anything you like as long as it's black or gray. Another one from back then that I think would sear the eyeballs is red exterior with a red interior. lol

At least there was a choice for the interior back in the classic era.  Now you can get anything you like as long as it's black or gray.  Another one from back then that I think would sear the eyeballs is red exterior with a red interior.  lol
Well, there were 5,502 people who ordered red/red (vermillion) for 1971.  It may be overkill, but certainly a logical color combo.

How about the one and only '71 Mustang with Black exterior and Red Vermillion Random Stripe interior? It looks like red plaid. That would be my Boss 351. I'm not the original owner, but I certainly wished it was something different.

I'm betting (actually guessing) that some of these odd combinations were ordered by folks with red-green or blue-yellow color blindness. They got colors that were pleasing to them.

How about the one and only '71 Mustang with Black exterior and Red Vermillion Random Stripe interior? It looks like red plaid. That would be my Boss 351. I'm not the original owner, but I certainly wished it was something different.
Black paint in and of itself is pretty rare, but even more so on a Boss 351.  The fact that it has Red Boss Decor is amazing.  I'd love to see some pictures of it.

At least there was a choice for the interior back in the classic era.  Now you can get anything you like as long as it's black or gray.  Another one from back then that I think would sear the eyeballs is red exterior with a red interior.  lol
No kidding. Everything today is black or gray or taupe. Of course, seems like way too many guys get a classic and immediately want to switch their interior to black - as if somehow it'll make the car faster or tougher or more impressive. Or the guys with a convertible that want a black interior - think about that for a minute. 

My 71 is factory blue on blue. That's a lot of blue, but you don't see it all the time. I considered going to white interior for the contrast when I restored it, but the pita that white is to keep clean kept me in blue.

I've been told that adding a racing strip to the car adds 5-10 mph faster due to the on coming wind following the curvature of the strip over the car reduces drag.

It's gotta be true, right?

Same logic as a black & blue colored car makes it tuffer?

Bru

There was a discussion about 10~12 years ago about a yellow 71 or 72 Mach 1, which was factory with either a vermillion or dark green interior. Can't remember if it was on the VMF or Mustangsandmore. I'm leaning toward it being a 71 429 car. Have to do some google searches to see if I can dig up the thread.
71, big block, vermillion, sold in Phoenix.

don't forget that many cars were ordered as STOCK for floorplans ! When doing so the form didn't say Black /green rather was all code numbers and letters ! EASY for a slip of a pen to check BF (green) when BR (ginger) was wanted.

Mark

P.S. IF not caught on pre-invoicing a month latter even the truck driver would be telling his wife that night "you should have see the one I delivered today!"

71, big block, vermillion, sold in Phoenix.
Ah, glad someone remembers it. I seem to recall the discussion was rather heated and the owner (son of original owner?) took a beating before he finally produced images of the door and buck tags.

Black paint in and of itself is pretty rare, but even more so on a Boss 351.  The fact that it has Red Boss Decor is amazing.  I'd love to see some pictures of it.
Unfortunately, it's a project car, sitting in the air on my car lift, covered with a car cover. I've been looking on my computer and can't find the pictures I took of it when I bought it. It was so long ago, they were probably on 35mm. Sorry. Looks like I have another thing on my to-do list for the spring.

Back