Which type leaf springs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Winter project will be the leaf springs. I have a friend with a lift, so that problem is solved.

I have seen several types, but I just want my "stance" to be level as its now slightly sagging to the rear.

I replaced all the suspension parts on the front, except the drag link, with new parts a couple years ago. What is the best design to raise the rear for just a normal "stance"?

The cars sat a bit lower in the rear when new. The fix, with stock pieces, was to cut 1/2 coil from the front springs to bring the car to level. The ONLY after market springs I've seen that yield the stock heights are from Eaton Detroit. Did you change the front springs? Chuck

Absolutely buy Eaton Detroit springs. You can talk to a rep directly or via their website to decide which are best for your application. They will also recommend shocks and front springs if needed.

Don't be tempted as I was to buy Grab-A-Trak springs. I wanted 4 1/2 leaf to help stop spring wrap-up. They did do that, but sat the ass end up over an inch too high. I needed to add lowering blocks in the hope they would settle, then remove them. After two years, the blocks are still in there! What I came to figure out and realize when in conversation with a rep from Eaton, was the free arch on the originals was 5", center of the standard eye to the top of the main leaf in the center, and the Grab-A-Trak springs are 4". It works in reverse to what you might think.  

I got a quote from Eaton for a pair of custom 4 1/2 leaf springs, but the price shocked the heck out of me. I guess I'm stuck with crappy spring for now. It may be cheaper to take them to a spring shop and get the re-arced to 5".

Geoff.

Bought a pair of 5 leaf springs and they did level the car

whereas before the rear was lower. I understand they

did this at the request of the government for better rear

end view. Maybe just a story.

mike

The cars sat a bit lower in the rear when new. The fix, with stock pieces, was to cut 1/2 coil from the front springs to bring the car to level. The ONLY after market springs I've seen that yield the stock heights are from Eaton Detroit. Did you change the front springs? Chuck
Yes, the entire front suspension and steering was replaced, except the drag link. I still have my spring compressor hanging on my tool pegboard, and if I never mess with springs again, it'll be too soon, LOL!

whereas before the rear was lower.  I understand they

end view.  Maybe just a story.

mike
I know everyone is saying Eton springs, but I see a 5 leaf set from CJPONYPARTS with good reviews.

Where did you get yours?

mike
I know everyone is saying Eton springs, but I see a 5 leaf set from CJPONYPARTS with good reviews.

Where did you get yours?
First - I wouldn't order a darn thing from CJ given their terrible fill rates and customer service history.

Those springs are 195lb rate, which is double the standard spring, and nearly 50% more than the Competition Suspension spring of 138lb. I've ridden in cars with five leaf springs, it's like riding in a dump truck. Don at OMS has a 71-73 spring listed for $199/pr. Might be worth it to give him a shout if the price of the Eaton springs gives you pause.

https://www.ohiomustang.com/

mike

Where did you get yours?
Honestly don't remember, not CJ for sure. 

mike

I went with Meirs 4.5 rear springs and Bilsteins. These things are awesome but expensive. I have zero wheel hop at full power. The ride is great. They will lower your car though. I have them with 1" taller shackles and the car looks with the same stance as before with the tail a little lower. I will eventually replace the front suspension which will lower the front end and then i will install back the normal shackles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Regarding the Eaton springs that most folks seem to like, what ride height do you use to get rid of the rear-end squat and get a decent stance?

Plus one or plus two inches? From what I've read the plus one will level it out, so to get a rake you need a plus two?

I like a little rake in my stance. Not necessarily an extreme 'air shocks and L60s' style rake (showing my age there), but something that puts the back up a bit higher.

If anyone's been through this and has some photos of their end result with stock and plus height springs in the back they would be appreciated.

Stance is everything with these cars, if that's not right everything else suffers for it.

Back