I see the problem but I don’t understand it

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
This all started with replacing the hood twist locks.

Passenger side, easy/breezy. Driver side, when the twist lock is pushed down and turned until it finds the hole, it’s slightly askew. The down rod is about 3-5 degrees off of center. I adjusted the mount as far as I could, but it wasn’t enough. Tilted, you can get the lock to engage, turn and secure, but since the lock rod is askew, so it the part that shows: the twist lock on top.

Then I got to looking. The gap from fender to headlight bezel in passenger side compared to driver side is significantly different. What does this mean? What to do?

In this photo, you’re facing the car.

Was it ok than starting acting up or has it always been like this? From your picture it looks like the hood is sitting lower then the fender on the driver side. Did you try to adjust your hood adjustable bumper? A picture from the top of the hood would help also. Would be able to see the hood lines and hood molding fender extension lines. If the hood is askew a little it can cause problems.

Was it ok than starting acting up or has it always been like this?  From your picture it looks like the hood is sitting lower then the fender on the driver side.  Did you try to adjust your hood adjustable bumper?  A picture from the top of the hood would help also. Would be able to see the hood lines and hood molding fender extension lines.  If the hood is askew a little it can cause problems.
I just installed the twist-locks; when I got the car, it only had the bases (and underhood components) with no locks.  All the old parts but the actually twisting lock were already there, and since the part that mounts in the hood is one piece (base and spring-loaded twist-lock together), they're brand new.  I did align the bases in the same location as before -- more or less a natural fit.  And on the passenger side, the new twist-lock works perfectly.

Also, I was trying to eyeball where the misalignment might be and sighting by the space between hood and fender both sides, the gap is close enough to the same from top to bottom to call it good.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded today - thx.

The off center grill is typical you can loosen all the fasteners and move it around.

If the small bracket that the twist lock goes into will not adjust enough loosen the fasteners on the large bracket attached to the radiator support and move around. You can also adjust using a large rubber mallet they do that a lot at the assembly line. No time to loosen and tighten bolts hit it with hammer and move on. 

From the front, you can see how far off the driver side is.

From the top, you can see they're in the original holes. But this photo poses a new conundrum: why is the front edge of the hood so far back from the fenders?

Great pictures. I thought it was coming in on an angle. As David mention, it looks like your are going to need to adjust it or tweak it with a rubber mallet. Your hood needs to come forward a little. Why it is sitting back is anybody's guess. Could be just wasn't align right or perhaps to allow the twist locks to lock.

I'm for sure there are several other ways of aligning your hood but I have found the following works beat for me. Before loosing the bolts on the hinges, make a mark on the front, back and both sides of the hinges so you get it back to where it was if it slides on you when you loosen the bolts.

I found that taking the latch bar off helps to allow the hood to move a lot easier when closed. With some help open the hood enough to get to the hinge bolts on the hood. Loosen a little and close the hood and try to slide forward. You also need to see how your line is on the rear of the hood at the fenders. Once align open hood enough again to tighten bolts. Check alignment and repeat if necessary. Replace hood latch bar. You probably will have to readjust your twist lock brackets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The off center grill is typical you can loosen all the fasteners and move it around.

If the small bracket that the twist lock goes into will not adjust enough loosen the fasteners on the large bracket attached to the radiator support and move around. You can also adjust using a large rubber mallet they do that a lot at the assembly line. No time to loosen and tighten bolts hit it with hammer and move on. 

This lower photo:  I did adjust the movable portion of the bracket as far as I could. Wasn't enough.

Great pictures.  I thought it was coming in on an angle.  As David mention, it looks like your are going to need to adjust it or tweak it with a rubber mallet.  Your hood needs to come forward a little.  Why it is sitting back is anybody's guess.  Could be just wasn't align right or perhaps to allow the twist locks to lock. 

I'm for sure there are several other ways of aligning your hood but I have found the following works beat for me. Before loosing the bolts on the hinges, make a mark on the front, back and both sides of the hinges so you get it back to where it was if it slides on you when you loosen the bolts. 

I found that taking the latch bar off helps to allow the hood to move a lot easier when closed.  With some help open the hood enough to get to the hinge bolts on the hood. Loosen a little and close the hood and try to slide forward. You also need to see how your line is on the rear of the hood at the fenders. Once align open hood enough again to tighten bolts.  Check alignment and repeat if necessary.  Replace hood latch bar. You probably will have to readjust your twist lock brackets.
It comes in straight, but to get the lock to catch, it does have to be canted to the left.  And that makes the top sit irregular.

Thanks for the tips on aligning the hood!  But yeah, every alignment thing seems to involve "adjust, evaluate, readjust" - repeat until finished.

Back