Rear drum brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, so I replaced  the shoes and spring kit on my 8", 10x2" rear drums. The issue is the drums are very tight going back on. I have the star adjusters turned all the way in, wtf???

No way should they be tight. Check to see if you have the plungers on the cylinder on in right place and that everything is in right place. Here is a pic of a 73 I did recently.  Are the shoes nested on the post on the center top? No way should it ever be tight if all the way down. 

what do i need to buy a car in texas

My plungers seem more out then yours, but all the drums seem to fit tight, the rears are especially tight. I opened  the bleeders and I didnt notice  the plungers retracting. The r/s has new wc and plungers, left side is original.

Alex

The springs should keep the pistons in the cylinders pulled in all the way. Make sure you have the parking brake bar in correct and the adjuster in place. There is no way it should be tight adjusted all the way down. I am thinking about 1/4" adj. out is about normal.

Make sure the shoes are up on the surface of the wear points on the backing plates might be hung on edge of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you compare your new shoes to your old ones? If they are the same then it has to be one of the items David mentioned or somehow you applied the emergency bake.

I replaced both EB cables while apart, they seem to function properly.  Will take pictures  next day or so

Did you compare your new shoes to your old ones?  If they are the same then it has to be one of the items David mentioned or somehow you applied the emergency bake.
I looked at the shoes together. Seemed the same. Could I have over adjusted  the cable? Does not seem too tight at pedal.....

Yes, never adjust the emergency brake cable when the shoes or drums are not on. Loosen it up, and then adjust for the correct pedal. You may have to readjust the shoe adjuster.

Do as Don C said. The adjustment of the EB cable should be the very last thing you do if it is needed when doing a brake job.

The cables  do not feel tight at all,  as a matter of fact, I was going to tighten  them up some more

Hmmm?  - Try taking your hands and sort of smack the shoes back and forth toward each other to help seat and center them. Also see picture.  I highlighted a few areas that if not seated will hold the shoes open as mentioned in some of the above post.  Make sure the shoes are seated against the anchor pin and are sitting on the wear pads on the backing plate.  Also check to make sure the brake strut bar and adjuster are seat all the way.  Can you post a close up picture.

I see what I did wrong. I gave the adjuster in wrong spot on brake shoe, six getting old :shootself:

Back