Rear drum brakes

waterlife

No way should they be tight. Check to see if you have the plungers on the cylinder on in right place and that everything is in right place. Here is a pic of a 73 I did recently.  Are the shoes nested on the post on the center top? No way should it ever be tight if all the way down. CAM-0093.jpg

CAM-0094.jpg

what do i need to buy a car in texas

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

My plungers seem more out then yours, but all the drums seem to fit tight, the rears are especially tight. I opened  the bleeders and I didnt notice  the plungers retracting. The r/s has new wc and plungers, left side is original.

Alex

The springs should keep the pistons in the cylinders pulled in all the way. Make sure you have the parking brake bar in correct and the adjuster in place. There is no way it should be tight adjusted all the way down. I am thinking about 1/4" adj. out is about normal.

Make sure the shoes are up on the surface of the wear points on the backing plates might be hung on edge of them.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Did you compare your new shoes to your old ones?  If they are the same then it has to be one of the items David mentioned or somehow you applied the emergency bake.

I looked at the shoes together. Seemed the same. Could I have over adjusted  the cable? Does not seem too tight at pedal.....

Yes, never adjust the emergency brake cable when the shoes or drums are not on. Loosen it up, and then adjust for the correct pedal. You may have to readjust the shoe adjuster.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Hmmm?  - Try taking your hands and sort of smack the shoes back and forth toward each other to help seat and center them. Also see picture.  I highlighted a few areas that if not seated will hold the shoes open as mentioned in some of the above post.  Make sure the shoes are seated against the anchor pin and are sitting on the wear pads on the backing plate.  Also check to make sure the brake strut bar and adjuster are seat all the way.  Can you post a close up picture.

Drum-final-LI-2.jpg

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Also the U clip on the e-brake needs to be squeezed together on the open end not just slid on If you do not close the open end some it can fall off. Just take pliers and squeeze it closed some so it cannot come off.

David

I see what I did wrong. I gave the adjuster in wrong spot on brake shoe, six getting old :shootself:

Glad you found the problem.  It easy to make a mistake once in a while.

As far as getting old - just remember "It is better to wear out than to rust out."   :D

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

just a note i did not see any grease or brake lube behind where the shoes contact the backing plate  to keep them from binding up over time