Urethane front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a special primer and paint that's used on urethane bumpers that allows a little flex, but I can't remember what it's called or who makes it. The early 70's saw these bumpers on our cars, Firebirds, etc. Talk to your body guy or paint shop and they'll probably know what it is. I can tell you the color will probably be just a shade off though.

Steve

Previous statements are correct you have to use a flex agent in the paint. 3-M makes repair kits if you have nicks or cracks. I have used aircraft stripper on the rubber noses like on 1984 not sure if it will hurt the urethane bumper or not. Check on rear of it to be sure. 

In 71 & 72 Ford put chrome bumpers on cars with Special Paint colors because they did not have flex paints for all colors. In 73 they only had urethane so Ford put Argent front bumpers and the rubber fillers in front of the rear bumper were also Argent. Bumper trivia.

I believe this is what I used as the repair material. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Bondo-Bumper-and-Flexible-Part-Repair/?N=5002385+3293241076&rt=rud

I used Sherwin Williams Spectra Prime, P-30A. It has flex agent in it. Other companies make similar products. I sanded with DA, rubber block and hand. It is a bit tedious but rewarding results. Chuck

Or, since you have a Boss 351 tribute theme going there, install a chrome front bumper and call it a day. Then repair the urethane front bumper on the side as time permits.

I'm starting to work on the front urethene bumper for my 73, but it seems to be glued / melted / tar stuck onto the metal bumper bracket. How important is it to take the bumper off of the brakes to repair? Or, can I repair it on the bracket?

Jason

Life is a Work in Progress

Back