Cleaning up some loose ends on 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
The 73 vert I got several years ago came to me with the speedo cable not plugged in. I took the whole dash out and changed out the wire harness and cleaned up the mess the PO had made. 

When I got the dash back in and went to install the cluster the speedo cable will not reach the cluster like 2" too short. Was there a difference in them for FMX to C-4 transmission? It was original an FMX and he went to a C-4. 

My brake lights quit working and will see if I can probe the switch to see if working. My neck prevents me from doing much under the dash.

I also have MSD ignition and the factory tach has never worked and I switched to one I knew worked and still nothing. I have the Tach adapter that MSD said was needed but still not working. Been using GPS for speedo but would like to get tach and speedo working. 

Going to take both the 73 Mach 1 and the 73 vert to the oldest continuous Mustang show in the U.S. on this Saturday. It is in Maggie Valley, N.C. in case some of the members want to show up from S.C., Ga, Tenn or NC.. If you google North Georgia Mustang Club it will come up. Usually several hundred cars at the show. It is in grassy field so not hot but tires do get full of grass. They do give 1 st. 2 nd. and 3 rd. place trophies in all classes. There was one other 73 Mach 1 there last year. 

Any info on the speedo cable would help.

From what I can find the speedo cable should be the same for all auto trans 69-73 and 3 speed manual being 61", only toploader different

Maybe just check the routing of your cable and if a clamp holding it somewhere just loosen it and move the cable forward

Was the convertible a California car? If so, it might have the emissions unit driven through the speedo cable. I've never seen one, but...

Could also be the cable is routed incorrectly, or was replaced with an incorrect model. All 71-73 C-4 & FMX cables show in the MPC as being replaced by D4FZ-17260-A at 67" in core length.

1972-1973 V8 Mustangs with an Automatic Transmission and Cruise Control use an additional lower speedo cable.

Was the convertible a California car? If so, it might have the emissions unit driven through the speedo cable. I've never seen one, but...

Could also be the cable is routed incorrectly, or was replaced with an incorrect model. All 71-73 C-4 & FMX cables show in the MPC as being replaced by D4FZ-17260-A at 67" in core length.
It was a California car for sure.

A few years back I purchased a reproduction cable and recently installed it. The length was the same as the original cable and now my speedometer has stopped its bouncing around which drove me nuts!

Back