Green Interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 (wife's)
My wife's Mach 1 interior was missing the front buckets and the rest was in poor shape. Interior trim code is GR and option listed is Mach 1 sports interior. We are a long ways away from installing interior pieces.  But we are sending the Mustang in this winter to a body shop for paint. My wife would like to keep the original colors; Ivy glow metallic paint with green interior. 

Trying to locate all the parts we are going to need is proving to be difficult. Mainly the front seats and door panels. Hard to believe because a lot of other stuff comes in green, even the special carpet for a Mach 1.

Nobody makes a green door panel for the Mach 1 interior. TMI seems to be the most correct looking. So a possible vinyl dye on the white door panel is our thought. ACC sells the green carpet for the door panel. It looks like mustangmarket.com has the cheapest price (their panel shown looks identical to a TMI panel on cjponyparts but $270 cheaper).

For seat upholstery it sounds like distinctive industries has the most correct seat upholstery, with ohio mustang supply being the best price. But nobody has a picture that represents the seat color that matches what I thought it should look like compared to interior pics I've found online.

Should we just change to an easier color? I find it frustrating and kind of a challenge for us to put the Mach 1 back to its original colors. I'll try attatch a picture I found online.

Thanks all, sorry for the rant

Brett

Just like to point out that "correct" and "best price / cheapest" are two mutually exclusive descriptions. If you're hunting for best price, you get what you get at your price point. If you want correct, then you need to pay what it takes. That said, green is not a very popular color, so you'll need to get out of the "bolt-on out of the box" line of thinking.

None of the 71-73 Mach 1 Sports Interior seats are "correct", as the original comfortweave fabric is either not available, or expensive to obtain. The production covers sold have a stamped CW pattern in them, which looks *okay*. You can either take what is available, or pay for the comfortweave material and have it sewn into the covers. I know there are people that have done this, no idea of the costs etc. IIRC, someone once posted that the CW material is in the $200/yard range. Green might be much cheaper. I'd contact SMS if you want to go that route. The covers in my 71 came from NPD and believe they were TMI. I believe the mfrs will send you a sample of the vinyl they use for a minimal charge.

The door panels from Mustang Market are reputed to be the best available, and still require you to trim the openings. SEM makes a line of interior paint called ColorCoat, that can be mixed to the medium green color. I bought a custom mixed quart for my medium blue interior and it matches very well. I have their color cross reference and can look up the green if you decide to go that way. You're going to need it to freshen up the rest of the interior anyway.

I'd also like to caution you against buying anything from CJ Pony Parts. They have terrible customer service, horrible in stock fill rates and overall just kinda suck. I stick with Ohio or NPD since my local shop, Mustangs Unlimited, seems to be going out of business.

I used the "search" function and just typed in "green interior" and found a lot of information. I only made it through 6 pages and have seen some amazing Mustangs in this search. Some fantastic folks posting throughout the years here as well.

If we want to maintain originality we'll contact SMS for the comfortweave and lighter green vinyl. We do have a couple of automotive upholstery shops in our area. My wife had a good conversation on the phone today with one of them. They sounded as though they could help us on our seats and door panels. We do have a set of black ones that my wife bought years ago that were in ok shape for a driver. So they could be used as a base or we'll decide if a set of white ones from mustang market will work.

I also learned that NPD carries some great paint (SEM) for the plastic pieces.

Thanks to this site I believe keeping it green is doable. Now I can settle back down and concentrate on further disassembly for paint.

Thanks all

Brett

The issue with the comfort weave material is it actually ran out before production stopped in 1973 due to a fire that destroyed the only machines that could weave it. Sound crazy but some 1973 Mach 1 had solid vinyl inserts not comfort weave because there was no material. 

You would think in the computer age someone could make a loom that could produce the material but I guess the demand is just not there. I bought a perfect set of comfort weave seat covers for a vert on ebay for $165. no tears no breaks. I would suggest they you place adds on Craigslist for what you need in the North East part of the U.S. where the interiors did not die from the sun. You might find some originals in great shape. I had one set of Ford original black door panels I sold on ebay with speaker grills for $550 they were perfect. Complete with all trim. I got them for $45.00 each in Michigan.

Back