1973 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberSquid

Reaction score
My Car
Looking to buy a 73 Mustang Mach 1 locally.
Good morning everyone, I've loved Mustangs since I was a kid but never got to own one. Now I'm looking at one near where I live, but am looking for some advice on it before I go see it in person. 

The vin is 3F05Q233928 from the seller who's owned it since 1990, but from his description, it doesn't have the original motor or transmission. The original ginger interior has also been swapped out for the black interior, which is okay with me. I wasn't looking for a fully original car, (couldn't afford one like that likely!), so I'm okay with the changes. I was wondering about some things though, from the pictures, it doesn't have any Mach 1 markings, but does match that from the vin. Also, it has the 3/4 vinyl top, which I'm not crazy about, but if this is a rare version of the Mach 1(?), that might affect if I buy it, and what I do with it. I also noticed it doesn't have the hood locks, so wasn't sure if that was an optional add-on for that year model. I'm still learning about these model Mustangs.

Any advice? He's asking $7,500, says it has been sitting in his driveway for 10 years, but the new motor and auto trans have 10k on them. It seems he had the motor built with speed in mind, .030" over, forged flat top pistons, and you know the rest....

Thanks for any direction!

Welcome from Iowa. I will help with what I can here. The car has been repainted, that might be why not Mach 1 decals. You can verify the VIN in the obvious place the dash but also on top of the driver's side fender support just under the fender. As far a hood locks I will defer that to someone else as I am always confused as to what did and did not get hood locks.

$7500 is a lot of money for a car in that condition.

Partial vinyl roof was a '73 only option on the sportsroof/Mach1. It actually looks really good on these cars and won't insult your manliness.

Mach 1 decals - car has probably been repainted at some point in it's life. By the VIN, it's a 351-4V Mach 1. You'll want to verify the door tag matches the dash and the fender aprons if possible to see.

The hood paint and twist locks were an extra-cost option through the Tu-Tone hood option, or the Ram Air option. Ram air was only available on the 351-2V in '73, It wasn't available on the Q-code 351-4V cars, due to an emissions screw up.

$7500 is a lot of money for a car in that condition.

Partial vinyl roof was a '73 only option on the sportsroof/Mach1. It actually looks really good on these cars and won't insult your manliness.

Mach 1 decals - car has probably been repainted at some point in it's life. By the VIN, it's a 351-4V Mach 1. You'll want to verify the door tag matches the dash and the fender aprons if possible to see. 

The hood paint and twist locks were an extra-cost option through the Tu-Tone hood option, or the Ram Air option. Ram air was only available on the 351-2V in '73, It wasn't available on the  Q-code 351-4V cars, due to an emissions screw up.
Thanks for the advice, I think he's trying to make up for the cost of the motor/trans...

I do like the way the vinyl top looks after seeing a few examples. I didn't think I would but it does look cool!

That price is stupid high. I have a 73 Mach 1 with the vinyl roof and it is a desirable option. He is way over triple the value of the car. What he says is in engine means nothing. 

There are lots better out there. The hood locks and black out were one option both came together was $18.00. Here is picture of my car in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum in Concord, NC. I just went and picked it up I was less than $5,000 new. Has 41 options. 

That car is a parts car not a very desirable car at all. 

Back