The more I look, the worse it gets...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
Don't know where the came up with that price. Seen alot better for less. Sad part is someone will buy it for that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! At least the hood is painted correctly!

Not.

Mr. negative here, the spoiler is on BACKWARDS!! along with a load of other sh*t wrong. No I'll not buy it at that price!.

On a positive note, the underside doesn't look that bad, no gaping holes at least!

Mr. negative here, the spoiler is on BACKWARDS!! along with a load of other sh*t wrong. No I'll not buy it at that price!.

On a positive note, the underside doesn't look that bad, no gaping holes at least!
Look closer.....

Definitely not the way I would build it, but chances are John Q. Public, wanting to get into a classic musclecar, probably isn't as versed as some of us to spot the changes/fixes. Might actually be a decent driver and the foundation seems like it could be there to change the car as the new owner sees fit. Wheels, paint, interiors, bolt-ons, etc. can all be easily swapped/fixed. I've seen far worse.

Sometimes I have to remember that people intentionally deviate from stock because of personal taste (though it seems I've seen it executed more often for the worse than the better). My '71, for instance, would probably be sliced and diced by some traditionalists, however I never intended to re-sell, and felt there was plenty that could be improved. I made some personal "mods" along the way but always tried to compliment the car with any aesthetics I made and improve performance and longevity with mechanical changes. (Older pic, but some examples: -changed grille to a '73, different wheels and tires, created my own side stripe with a harder angle at the leading edge, headlight upgrade, front spoiler, taller rear wing pedestals, change to fiberglass hood, engine mods, etc.)

Look closer.....
 Ah yes! there are some spots that look like they'd fail the "screwdriver" test. I did say "gaping holes" though.

Pretty sad when the foundation wasn't done first before the top. It's like building a house from the roof down

Definitely not the way I would build it, but chances are John Q. Public, wanting to get into a classic musclecar, probably isn't as versed as some of us to spot the changes/fixes.  Might actually be a decent driver and the foundation seems like it could be there to change the car as the new owner sees fit.  Wheels, paint, interiors, bolt-ons, etc. can all be easily swapped/fixed. I've seen far worse.

Sometimes I have to remember that people intentionally deviate from stock because of personal taste (though it seems I've seen it executed more often for the worse than the better).  My '71, for instance, would probably be sliced and diced by some traditionalists, however I never intended to re-sell, and felt there was plenty that could be improved.  I made some personal "mods" along the way but always tried to compliment the car with any aesthetics I made and improve performance and longevity with mechanical changes. (Older pic, but some examples: -changed grille to a '73, different wheels and tires, created my own side stripe with a harder angle at the leading edge, headlight upgrade, front spoiler, taller rear wing pedestals, change to fiberglass hood, engine mods, etc.)

Nothing wrong with that.   I'm sure it looks good.   There are a lot of mods out there that look great and worth their money.  The problem here is that the asking price is WAY out of the ball park for the shape of the car.  Not only is it aesthetically wrong in several areas but also the overall soundness of the car has issues.  Really poor welds on the aprons,  several holes in frame - if you look good you can see one that looks rusted through - looks like crack in frame on passenger side that was half A**  welded and lord only knows whats up with the transmission mount just to name a few.   Also, the interior is pretty well shot.   To me this is no more then a 5 to 7K tops car - if that.  

Nothing wrong with that.   I'm sure it looks good.   There are a lot of mods out there that look great and worth their money.  The problem here is that the asking price is WAY out of the ball park for the shape of the car.  Not only is it aesthetically wrong in several areas but also the overall soundness of the car has issues.  Really poor welds on the aprons,  several holes in frame - if you look good you can see one that looks rusted through - looks like crack in frame on passenger side that was half A**  welded and lord only knows whats up with the transmission mount just to name a few.   Also, the interior is pretty well shot.   To me this is no more then a 5 to 7K tops car - if that.
Finally someone saw what was so apparent to me. I could care less about the sidepipes, or the hokey stance, or the "racing" seats. It's the structure of the car that made me look closer. If you look at the passenger floor support, they hammered the flange vertical to meet the floorpan, with a couple birdshit welds. Clearly someone screwed up installing that floor. The rear of the floorpan looks like whole can of seam sealer was applied, as does the driver's side. The driver's side floor support is made out of square tubing. There's all sorts of scary looking patches with poor welds on the passenger frame rail as you noticed, plus the zero penetration welds on the aprons. Rear suspension was just rattle canned in place. The tranny is a Lincoln/T-bird unit with the cradle mount, so they whacked a piece of 1/4 plate to extend the mounting holes forward to the stock crossmember. The driveshaft yoke is hanging out about 4 inches, can't imagine what'll happen to that at freeway speeds or hard acceleration. With all this and the top quality wiring underhood, one can only image what is hiding under the paint, which has more orange peel than a grove full of Valencias....

Back