A tale of two alternators...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
Well, if you count the old one, “three alternators”.

‘73 Convertible, 351c-4V. Came with a 55 amp alternator and for future needs, I decided to upgrade to 70 amps. Currently replacing (rebuilt) p/s pump, water pump and radiator so seemed like a good time to include this upgrade.

I searched the usual online suspects and narrowed it down to two:  NAPA remanufactured, $90 after turning in the core, and, available just down the street from me, or new Powercraft from NPD, $142, must be shipped.

Went NAPA for the convenience and price. Both websites make you fill in complete car info to assure a correct fit.

Well... NAPA (even though the website said “in stock”, after ordering was told “Will be available at your local store tomorrow”). Here’s what I got (new on the left): 

Notice anything? As in, “ain’t gonna fit???!” Refused the order. Then ordered from NPD on Friday, arrival Monday.

Surprise! Arrived Saturday (today). Notice any difference? It will fit!

Seriously, even though they can be a few bucks more, I have yet to have any problem (besides my impatience) with NPD.

Proof will be the installation, but I’m far more optimistic with the 2nd choice.

The one you received was the side terminal alternator usually used in the big car setups. My '72 T-bird had that on it's 429. Clearly there is a mistake in their applications database. AFAIK, most of it stems from when Ford moved the Cougar from the Mustang unibody chassis to the Torino full frame in '74. There were many parts books that listed parts for the 73 Cougar as the same for '74, which was completely wrong.

FWIW, as much as I like NPD, I don't buy performance or upgrade parts from them. There's usually a significant premium on items they carry over Summit, Jegs etc.

Back